chpt. 35

I know, I know I updated TWICE in one day, where's my award?

I hope you all have a box of tissues on standby before you start reading...don't hurt me!

There IS violence in this chapter but you all are tough cookies, right?

Enjoy(cry)! <3

•••

EARLIER, RAYNE'S POV

"I will keep saying this until my last breath. I will protect you, even if it costs me my life. I love you more than anything in this world, Ashlyn Black" Placing a kiss on her forehead, I jumped out of the car through the sun roof. Baring my teeth and letting the shift take over me, I felt the hot sensations as my bones crackled, feeling the prickles of my Wolfs fur sprouting out from my hair follicles. Merging my consciousness with his, we heard the silent sobs of our Mate and almost contemplated staying, wanting to comfort her and stay by her side. But then, we saw the black SUV speeding towards us.

Protect, kill, kill.

We launched ourselves into the air, landing on top of the vehicle and denting it with our paws. Ripping away the roof with a jerk of our head, we looked for the immediate threat, Jason. There were 3 men, all dressed in black. They tried to swerve the car to throw us off, but our claws were sunk deeply into the metal. Growling because he was nowhere to be found, we jumped off of the car, stopping a far distance away from it.

Come to us, we can't wait to rip your throats out.

The car barreled towards us and we opened our mouth, catching the grill before it ran us over and ripping it off, bolt by bolt. The metal crunched in between our jaws and we spit it out, lunging for the car again while it lifted off of the ground. With a flick of our head upwards, the entire vehicle flipped over onto its back. Feeling satisfied when it hit the ground with a large crashing sound, it only lasted for a second when we sensed another vehicle approaching. This one was coming from the direction our Mate was heading.

We must protect her.

Without another thought, we took off at an incredible speed, paws pounding against the concrete road with great force, our fur whipping against the wind. We pushed even harder when we felt ourselves getting nearer to her location, the humming of the vehicle ahead could be heard at this distance. Suddenly, we heard a deafening crash, too loud for our sensitive ears. Skidding across the concrete as we came to a halt, tilting our head up in the air we sniffed. Blood, our Mates blood. Snarling as our protective side took over our senses, we sped off in her direction.

"LAYTON WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?" I took over the connection that allowed us to merge our consciousnesses together, mindlinking those who were supposed to be here by now.

"Jason has surrounded my packs estate, we've begun fighting already! I apologize but my hands are tied and I need my men, forgive me." He cut off the link and I cursed, seeking my fathers link.

"Son! We've ran into some trouble, Jason has set up a perimeter around our territory so we've have remained to fight and defend our home. Please forgive me If I don't make it there in time. Do all you can to get her back safely, I love you." Panting as I pushed my Wolf even harder, all I could see was red. As I neared, I felt a sharp pain in my leg and them another. Soon, I found myself being tackled to the ground by two brown wolves. I growled ferociously, throwing one off of me. As I was about to clamp down on his neck to finish him off, I felt a dull sting on the side of my neck.

Before I knew it, my Wolf form was averting and I was left in my human body. Agonizing waves of pain and heat scorched throughout my body, making me writhe against the cold concrete on all fours. I gritted my teeth, forcing myself to stand up. I tried to call on my Wolf, but I couldn't feel him anymore. Feeling the side of my neck, I felt a puncture wound and realized that I had been injected with Wolfsbane. I felt as if I was burning alive, my mind was screaming for release, release from the pain. My body trembled, but I still forced myself to stand upright, no matter what the pain would not stop me from getting to Ashlyn.