I

☠︎

The monster was gone.

The rain had stopped. The storm still rumbled, but only in the distance. Lightning lights up the scenery from time to time. Percy smelled like livestock and his knees were shaking. His head felt like it was splitting open. He was weak and scared and trembling with grief. The boy'd just seen his mother vanish. He wanted to lie down and cry, but there was Grover, his best friend, needing his help, so the dirty blonde haired boy managed to haul him up and stagger down into the valley, toward the lights of the farmhouse.

He was crying, calling for his mother, but he held on to Grover-He wasn't going to let his best friend go. The second last thing Percy remembers is collapsing on a wooden porch, looking up at a ceiling fan circling above him, moths flying around a yellow light, and the stern faces of a familiar-looking bearded man and two girls, other dark like the night that's falling upon them, standing back, and the other-despite the same hair and skin color- seemingly brighter. They both looked down at him, and the not so dark girl said,"He's the one. He must be."

"Silence, Annabeth," the man said. "He's still conscious. Bring him inside, Morana."

Morana. Percy thought, as the girl from the back stepped forward. If he had any energy left inside him, he would have screamed when great black avian wings unfold from her back as the dark angel steps to his side.

I'm dying. Was Percy's single thought inside his foggy head as the girl swooped him in her arms without effort, making him seem like a feather.

And finally, the last thing he remembers, is the sight of the girl's brown ethereal skin and features as lightning cracked and lighted up her face, her golden eyes meeting with his ocean green ones.

☠︎

Percy came around a few times, only remembering snippets from here and there.

He remembers a girl asking him about- summer solstice?- Urging him to tell her about something stolen, while feeding him something that tasted like buttered popcorn but was actually pudding.

He remembers looking to his side for answers, getting a brief glance of the winged girl leaning against the door frame, picking at her feathered wings before looking at Percy with those piercing golden eyes through her eyelashes. Then he trailed off into unconsciousness again.