XXVII

☠︎

"You are brave to come here, Son of Poseidon", Hades, the Lord of The Dead drools in an oily voice, his eyes trained on Percy.

His tone oozes power. They've met a few gods on the way but to Percy, Hades is the first one he'd actually instantly recognize as a God.

He's at least ten feet tall and his jet black hair falls on his shoulders. 

 "After what you have done to me, very brave indeed. Or perhaps you are simply very foolish."

Morana furrows her brows in confusion but she doesn't have time to question before Percy speaks, "Lord and Uncle, I come with two requests."

Hades raises an eyebrow and Percy can see where Morana has picked that habit from.

"Only two requests?" Hades asks, "Arrogant child. As if you have not already taken enough. Speak, then. It amuses me not to strike you dead yet."

Morana is utterly confused. She knows Hades' hate towards all heroes but never is he unjust. He always has a reason for his actions and for him to be accusing Percy of stealing simply because he's a hero, doesn't fit. 

"Lord Hades," Percy talks again, "Look, sir, there can't be a war among the gods. It would be . . . bad."

"Really bad," Grover adds helpfully.

"Return Zeus's master bolt to me," Percy says after nodding, "Please, sir. Let me carry it to Olympus."

Hades's eyes grow dangerously bright, still not addressing Morana. She finds herself looking hopefully around, trying to look for her winged father.

 "You dare keep up this pretense, after what you have done?"

Percy looks at his friends behind him, even Morana looking utterly confused. "Um . . . Uncle. You keep saying 'after what you've done.' What exactly have I done?"

Morana grinds her teeth discreetly as the throne room shakes with a tremor so strong, they probably feel it upstairs in Los Angeles. Debris falls from the cavern ceiling. Doors burst open all along the walls, and skeletal warriors march in, hundreds of them, from every time period and nation in Western civilization. 

Soon they block every exit. Hades bellows, "Do you think I want war, godling?" 

"You are the Lord of the Dead," Percy says slowly, testing the waters. "A war would expand your kingdom, right?"