XVI

☠︎

"So...", Grover breaks the silence, "You're not as dead as we thought you'd be".

"Surprise", the boy says, his arm still around Morana's back.

The girl suddenly realizes what she's doing, untangling her arms from around the boy's neck and pushing hard on his chest with both hands. "Surprise?!" She exclaims, clenching her jaw. 

"That's all you have to say?" Annabeth asks as well, Morana running her hand through her hair in distress. "What happened to your hand?" Percy asks immediately, looking down at the hand that just ran through Morana's hair.

The two biggest knuckles are red with forming bruises. "I punched the door because some fucking idiot had to play hero", Morana hisses at the boy, hitting his chest again.

"Did you stop to realize I could've flown down from there in stead of plummeting down like your sorry ass?" 

Percy hasn't seen Morana this mad yet. Neither has Grover. Annabeth has and it didn't end well so she asks, "What happened?"

"Short version? We need to go to Santa Monica", Percy answers the question, relieved to be saved from Morana wrath. 

"How does that answer her question in any sense or form?" Morana grumbles, Percy glancing at her, wondering if she'd be mad at him for the rest of her life. Maybe she'd send him down to the Underworld the faster way. 

"What like now?" Grover questions. "That's what I was told by the weird sea spirit, yes". 

Annabeth rolls her eyes at the term the boy used. "Okay. Uh. . . Just one problem with this plan", Grover starts, looking a bit like he wants to punch some sense into Percy. 

"The police think that we crashed the train and then did. . . that", the goat boy now motions towards the smoking arch that has helicopters whirring around it like bees flying around a flower. 

"The cops are after us?" Percy questions, Annabeth and Morana sighing at the same time. Does this kid even have brains. 

"Isn't that gonna make it hard for us to get on a train? Or a bus? Or really anything you need tickets for?" The boy just confirms his lack of brain activity. 

"Well aren't you the sharpest tool in the box", Morana states sarcastically, looking up at the boy with raised brows that act as a fake smile before completely dropping the expression