XXVIII

☠︎

Morana had almost forgotten how much she hates the Furies. Those smug faces with manic smiles. 

And the skeletons. They still manage to make shivers run down Morana's spine. With each clatter of a bone and bony finger touching her, trying to overpower her sword hand. 

But she holds her own.

Until Hades calls, "Stand down", sounding a bit bored with the outcome of the fight. The skeletons disappear with the snap of his finger and the Furies slash at her one last time, revealing their teeth to Morana in snarls before retreating reluctantly.

Morana lets her sword hang on her side as Hades stands from his throne.

His steps echo along the high, pillar walls of the throne room as he steps down from the platform that holds his and Persephone's thrones. 

With each stair he steps down, his form shrinks. And when he hits the same level that Morana is on, he's the same height as a normal man. 

The man walks to the two couches seated in front of a fireplace in the corner of the room. Morana's eyes follow him wearily. She glances at Sally Jackson, the outstretched hand seemingly pointing straight at Morana, which makes her move to the side. 

When she turns back to Hades, the man sits down with a sigh, staring at Morana. "Come on", he says, motioning towards the couch in front of the one he's sitting on. It's an invite, not an order. But Morana does as told. 

She lets her sword melt into her ring again as she walks towards the God, her wings tugging in behind her, still refusing to disappear with the gashes still bleeding on them. 

Hades studies Morana as she travels towards him, slumping down on the sofa and leaning back. Without a word being said, he extends a cup of Nectar to her. "Thank you", Morana grunts as she takes the cup and tries to adjust her wings. 

"Guess we now know they don't redact when injured", Hades speaks as he watches the girl give up and just lean her forearms on her knees, drinking the Nectar and then placing the cup on the table. 

"Guess so", Morana grumbles, waiting for the Nectar to do its job. Warmth spreads across her whole body, the annoying feeling of stretching skin disappearing as the gashes repair themselves. 

"Try now", he orders, and Morana does so. The wings disappear, the girl letting out a sigh while leaning back. 

"There we go", Hades mumbles, raising his arm on the backrest of his couch, his eyes turning to the fire.