XIII

☠︎

"Can I ask a stupid question?" Percy asks as they all sit around a table on normal seats the next morning.

"It's like you need me to make fun of you", Annabeth comments, Percy throwing her an annoyed look. 

"'And you shall fail to save what matters the most in the end'. Back in Jersey I told you the Oracle said this quest would fail and no one's mentioned it since", Percy tells them, Morana glancing out of the window briefly. Something glimmers outside, making her squint her eyes, but it's gone and replaced by beautiful horse creatures with human upper halves. 

"It seems like something we 'ought to take a little more seriously", the Poseidon's son says, glancing at Morana who's between him and the window, Grover and Annabeth in front of them.

 Percy soon notices the centaurs as well, making him marvel at them and lean closer to the window. "Are those-?" He goes to ask. "Centaurs", Grover smiles gently at the creatures tho they don't see them. 

"No one even knows they're there", Percy states, looking over his shoulder quickly. 

"There used to be herd of them everywhere", Grover says glumly, Morana watching as the centaurs gallop on the field. 

"What happened to them?" Percy asks, blinking his blue eyes. "Humans", Morana states, her tone monotone and grim. Percy looks down at her. 

"A few thousand years ago the god of the wild, Pan, disappeared. And ever since without Pan to protect the natural world, humans have been trying really hard to chip it away", Grover puts in to explain, Percy reaping his eyes away from the girl.

"The bravest satyrs volunteer to become searchers, trying to find Pan. None have ever returned", Annabeth glances at Grover. 

"Your uncle we found at Medusa's. Ferdinand. He was a searcher?" Percy asks the satyr who looks sadly out of the window. 

Morana studies him calmly. Due her power to sense death, she's also quite good at detecting the signs of grief. But it doesn't take much to see them in Grover who nods a bit.

Annabeth takes a deep breath and changes the subject, "The Oracle didn't say the quest would fail. 'Fail to save what matters the most', that could mean a lot of things". 

"That's how the prophecies work. That's how fate works", the Athena girl continues, Morana turning to her now. 

"The harder you work to understand, the harder it gets to understand", Morana states, Annabeth snapping her fingers in her direction as if saying, 'exactly'.