VI

☠︎

"Hey", Percy says to Morana as he sits in the open spot next to the sometimes wing spotting girl. She looks left to meet his sea-green eyes. "Hey", she states calmly, hint of confusion in her voice.

They watch as Hermes kids stand up and go make their offerings. Both of their eyes find Luke. "Bet he won't be too happy about your trick last night", Percy blurts out quietly, leaning closer to Morana. She glances at him and then back at Luke who waves at the two of them. 

Both of them raise their hands in greetings at the same time. "Oh he won't know unless you tell him", she reveals, making Percy huff a laugh. 

"It'd be fun to see him mad. But guess I'll have to wait for another opportunity", he turns to the girl, their eyes meeting as Morana nods in thanks before standing up with her plate. 

People, not so discreetly, watch them as Percy approaches the fire with Morana. She mumbles the usual, Hades. Thanatos. Dropping a piece of meat and then a slice of watermelon. 

She notices Percy watching her. "Watermelon's his favorite", she explains, making Percy smile a bit, sadness hinting in his eyes. 

She knows her father's favorite fruit and Percy doesn't even know his father's name. It bothers him. 

Morana gives him a sympathetic look that goes almost unnoticed by the boy. He scrapes his portion into the fire and walks back to the table with the girl. 

After they're all done, Chiron hammers his hoof on the marble. 

Morana's eyes squint the slightest, Percy next to her noticing.

"Heroes!" The centaur announces. "You know the rules. The creek is the boundary line. The entire forest is fair game. All magic items are allowed. The banner must be prominently displayed, and have no more than two guards. Prisoners may be disarmed, but may not be bound or gagged. No killing or maiming is allowed. I will serve as referee and battlefield medic", he calls, everyone listening intently and looking up from their tables. 

"No flying", his eyes fall on Morana who huffs a disappointed breath through her nose, making the centaur chuckle fondly before he says his last two words, "Arm yourselves!"

☠︎

Percy struggles with his shield, Riptide firmly in his other hand as Annabeth walks over to him and Luke, a certain winged woman behind her like a guard.