XIX

☠︎

'What is love?'

'Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me. . .'

"What. . . the fuck." It takes a few seconds for the two demigods to come to terms with what's happening. 

"I feel like I've heard this before", Percy admits while Morana looks around as if trying to find the source of the music. 

"I think. . . From an orthodontist's office, maybe?"

Morana turns her head slowly to him, her eyes holding a very questioning look that seems to scream, 'what the actual fuck'.

But she doesn't have time to voice her confusion before colorful lights project an image on the curvy wall of the tunnel. 

It's a string of wisps and curls, racing past them in pink, seemingly smoking. Both the demigods follow the colors with their eyes like a tennis audience following the ball. 

Morana sees Percy glancing at her from the corner of her eye, making her turn her head towards him but too late since his eyes don't even meet with her's before he looks away. 

Suddenly there's a shadow of a woman projected on the wall, a child in her tummy with hammers floating around him before he jumps out of the stomach. 

"Wait I know this", Percy says suddenly. "That's a first", Morana mumbles, making the boy throw her an annoyed look but not take her words to heart. 

He looks back up at the lighted up wall, the colors illuminating his face, making his features stand out. 

"It's Hephaestus's story", he voices, making Morana furrow her brows slightly, turning to look at him when he turns to her, their eyes meeting briefly before the boy turns away again. 

"Rejected by Hera. Rejected by Aphrodite. My mom told me these stories all the time", Percy reveals, Morana following the lights to the other side of the tunnel. 

"I remember this. She said. . ." He cuts himself off, making Morana turn to him. She takes in his troubled face, seeing him sigh. 

"She said this is what the gods are like to each other", he looks down at her golden eyes, the lights dancing on her skin. 

"This is the kind of family they are", Percy continues, turning back to the wall again. Morana furrows her brows, trying to read his expression.