XI

☠︎

After a silence that seems like years to Percy, Medusa finally says, "Something's burning. Would you give me a hand in the kitchen?" Before she stands up and walks to the kitchen, her words directed towards Percy. 

The sea-god's son looks at his best friend, then at the two girls. The other gives him a warning look and the other avoids his eyes like he's the monster turning people to stone here. 

Morana looks back out of the window so she doesn't have to look at the people in the room. Her skin is starting to turn a sickly shade and her eyes don't seem to focus on anything at all.

Percy wanders off into the kitchen and the room fills with silence. 

"Grover, get ready to run", Annabeth says lowly to Grover, before walking to Morana who has a dazed look on her face. 

For a moment Annabeth only looks out of the window as well, eyes wandering over the stone statues of innocent and not so innocent people. 

"You okay?" She asks. As if her words had broken some trance Morana was in, she takes a sharp breath through her nose and says, "I'm fine", while turning around. 

Annabeth opens her mouth to ask more but Percy runs into the main room. Before any of them can say anything, he holds a finger to his mouth, gently brushes his hand on Morana's wing to get her moving. The action gains a shudder from the girl as she tugs her wing closer to her back, making his hand disconnect from it. 

The wings are. . . sensitive. 

Annabeth motions towards the Fury outside, furiously mouthing, 'There's no way out!'

Percy looks around, eyes a bit wide, blonde hair falling to his eyebrows. Then his wild eyes land on a door and he leads them through. 

Morana hesitates, but glances back and decides that she really has no other choice. She blocks out the voices as she walks down the stairs that reveal themselves behind the door. 

They don't get two seconds of peace down in the basement before the door starts cracking open again, whining in protest. 

The stairwell railings suddenly light up with fire, the snakes of flames slithering down the wood like they're getting ready to eat Morana and her companions. 

Suddenly torches and fires like up all around the. . . tomb. It's not just a basement, it's an endless tomb with hundreds of statues.