XXXI

☠︎

"Mor?" 

Luke saying Morana's name makes her furrow her brows in rage and wings shudder on her both sides. 

Morana's back is turned to Percy, her sword above her head, battling against the strength of Luke's sword. Her golden eyes stare right into Luke's dark brown ones. 

She pushes hard on the boy's sword making him stumble back both in shock and for losing his balance. 

"I'm loyal", Morana starts, "To my friends". She twirls her sword and Luke's eyes widen. It's a fight he knows he can't win. Not with swords anyway. 

"Mor. Please. Hear me out! Let me explain!" Luke tries to persuade the girl with words, his sword hanging by his side in his hand, ready but not raised. 

"I heard everything", Morana interrupts him, her eyes hard like diamond. 

"We did", she corrects herself and Luke furrows his brows. 

Annabeth Chase removes the Yankee's cap, making herself visible. Her dagger is in her hand, ready to be thrown, aimed at Luke. 

"Morana. The Gods-!" The Hermes boy goes to talk and a part of Morana wants to listen, wants to find a way to make Zeus pay for everything. But then she hears the small grunt of pain Percy lets out on the ground behind her. 

"I don't care about the Gods!" She interrupts him and the power of her voice makes Luke stagger to the side, out of Morana's reach. Thunder rumbles violently. 

"I care about my friends", Morana's voice lowers in volume again but everyone's listening to her. 

A firework explodes and lights Morana's face. 

Luke's mask falters, then cracks. . . and then shatters into a million pieces. 

There's tears streaming down Morana's cheeks, her golden eyes filled with more of the salty liquid. 

And with the usual hatred and anger, her gaze is also laced with sadness and betrayal. 

"That used to include you", her voice breaks and Luke has never heard it do that. 

"You have every right to be angry", Morana says, "But Percy's right. This isn't you."

Luke shakes his head, tear falling down his cheek. "I thought you'd understand."