sᴇʀɪᴇs ᴛᴡᴏ ꕥ 9

Lizzie and Dustin jumped and turned round. They also got back into the shelter of the tyres and peeked out from the top of them. They were both dazed with happiness and excitement, but neither said a word, for fear lingered as well.

"Guys?! What's going on?" Steve's voice came from below.

"Noth-" Dustin began.

"I've got eyes, ten o'clock! Ten o'clock!" Lizzie suddenly shouted over him.

And sure enough, at ten o'clock, in the fog, there was a figure of a suspiciously Dart-shaped figure.

"Get down from there, you two! Now!" Steve suddenly shouted, and so Lizzie and Dustin rushed down the ladder.

"Wait, are you sure that's not a dog?" Max and Lucas were both staring out one of the small windows that was protected by an old metal fence.

"Fuck off, Max, that's not a dog!" Lizzie shouted, rolling her eyes.

"No," Steve rolled his eyes too as he looked up, then back down, muttering to himself. "He's not taking the bait, why is he not taking the bait?"

"Wait, what?" Lizzie ran forwards and barged Steve out the way, looking out the window herself. Dart was just standing there, not doing anything with the huge pile of meat before him.

"Maybe he's not hungry, or..." Dustin shrugged. He had gotten over his silence at being so happy and was now back into full plan mode.

And when Steve got up and shouldered the bat, heading towards the door, Lizzie knew he definitely was.

"Steve? Steve what are you doing?" He asked worriedly. "Steve?"

The older boy turned round, holding up his lighter. "Just get ready," he said to Dustin, throwing it to him as the boy caught it.

"I'm going up to cover his back," Lucas got his binoculars and climbed the ladder.

There was a great clanging as Steve opened the van door. The four kids watched silently out the window as he crept out the van with the bat and slowly made his way towards Dart.

The creature didn't move.

Then he whistled. "Come on, buddy."

"What the fuck is he doing?" Max asked, putting her forehead in her hand.

"Expanding the menu," Dustin was half joking, half serious.

"Come on, buddy, come on, dinner time," Lizzie could hear the fear in Steve's voice. "Human tastes better than cat, I promise..."

"He's insane," Max shook her her head.

"He's awesome," Dustin, however, was now grinning.

Lizzie stayed watching through the window as Steve slowly swung the bat with shaking hands.

That was just when another mini Demogorgon appeared opposite Dart.

Lizzie heard Lucas yell from above. "STEVE! WATCH OUT!"

"A little busy here!" Steve bit back, not realising what was behind him.

"THREE O'CLOCK! THREE O'CLOCK!" Lucas tried again desperately.

Now there were three.

"Did they breed?" Max asked.

"Shut up!" Lizzie and Dustin yelled in unison before Dustin shouted. "STEVE!"

He ran to the door and shoved it open. "STEVE! ABORT! ABORT!"

Steve realised now that he was being surrounded, and shouldered the bat just in time for one of the mini Demogorgons to attack at him. He swung the bat and missed, then ran, rolling onto a car and missing death by inches.