Chapter 207 Monster

Zhang Yi decided to rescue Yang Xinxin.
For him, the biggest concern at the shelter now was cybersecurity. A vast majority of the houses were now automated, and if they were to suffer an external network intrusion, the threat to Zhang Yi would be unimaginable. This decision was made with careful consideration, not impulsively. But before he proceeded, he needed to make detailed plans and gather intelligence.After a night of deliberation, the next day Zhang Yi called Yang Mi and Zhou Keren together to discuss the rescue plan."Tell me carefully about the current situation over there," Zhang Yi said cautiously to the two.Zhou Keren looked at Yang Mi. "Why don't you tell him?"After all, Yang Mi was Yang Xinxin's cousin and had a closer relationship with her, so she knew more.Yang Mi sat up straight, looking serious. "Xinxin is trapped in Tianqing Academy.""Tianqing Academy is one of the top aristocratic schools in Tianhai City, not open to the public, and ordinary people know little about it.""This school offers education from kindergarten to university, exclusively for the children of the privileged, and it also admits a very small number of geniuses.""After graduation, everyone inside becomes a seed player in both politics and business."Zhang Yi nodded, indicating his familiarity with this.By around 2050, education had become polarized. The education levels received by ordinary people and the elite, and by the elite and the privileged, were completely parallel. There were no intersections in terms of schools, faculty, or post-graduation career paths. This led to the creation of some monopolized educational institutions, namely aristocratic schools. While academic qualifications still had some use for ordinary people, they had lost their meaning for the upper class."If she's in school, how did a girl with a disability survive until now?" Zhang Yi questioned.With such a high population density in the school, there usually wouldn't be much resources. If people fought each other for food, there might be a chance of survival. But Yang Xinxin was a polio patient from childhood!" Tianqing Academy has its own special food supply channel, and the food stored in the warehouse is also very abundant," Yang Mi said."They hid in the school cafeteria, so they didn't starve to death," Zhang Yi nodded, finding this plausible."But I don't understand one thing. If she could contact the outside world, why didn't she contact you earlier?" Zhang Yi found it strange.In times of distress, people always try their best to survive and seek help from anyone available. Why did she wait until now, nearly two months into the apocalypse, to contact the outside world?Yang Mi was also stumped by this question. Her expression showed hesitation and a hint of confusion."At that time... I was just too worried and didn't have the chance to ask her," she said, taking out her phone. "Let me try calling her now!"Zhang Yi nodded, watching her quietly.In front of Zhang Yi, Yang Mi activated the speakerphone and dialed the number."Ring, ring, ring.""Sorry, the number you have dialed is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later..."Yang Mi looked embarrassed. "I've been trying to contact her again later, but it keeps saying the call couldn't be connected."Zhou Keren chuckled and teased, "Don't think too much. Maybe she thought you were dead at first, so she didn't call you.""That's not true!" Yang Mi glared at her angrily.Zhang Yi rubbed his left hand with his right palm and suddenly asked, "How far is Tianqing Academy from here?"Yang Mi pondered for a moment and replied, "Probably about a dozen kilometers.""A dozen?" Zhang Yi chuckled helplessly. Her grasp of distance left him speechless.He took out his phone and started searching on the map. Although the signal wasn't good now and the satellite positioning was problematic, using the previous map to check the distance was still feasible.After a search, Zhang Yi found the answer. "Tianqing Academy is located in the Xishan District. It's about 22.6 kilometers from Yunque Manor.""With this distance, it's a miracle if the phone can be connected even once."Yang Mi and Zhou Keren suddenly realized. "So that's how it is!"Zhang Yi looked at Yang Mi and joked, "But don't rule out the possibility that she thought you were dead and didn't bother to call you first!"Yang Mi clenched her fist angrily. "That's not true! I... I'm an adult, after all!"Zhang Yi stood up and said to the two, "Come to the control room!"Ordinary phones couldn't transmit signals through the Nebula satellite chain, but that super server could.Yang Mi and Zhou Keren were both computer illiterate, even less so than Zhang Yi. They obediently followed Zhang Yi to the control room.Zhang Yi turned on the computer and used internet telephony to dial Yang Xinxin's number.Soon, a crackling sound of electricity came from the computer, as if it was under intense interference."It seems they're in a very unstable signal area!" Zhang Yi judged.After a few seconds, a soft and sweet voice came from the other end, "Who are you?"Upon hearing this voice, both Yang Mi and Zhou Keren's faces lit up with excitement."It's Xinxin!" Yang Mi hurried over, anxious yet joyful. "Xinxin, it's me, your sister! Where are you now? Tell me quickly. Sister will come find you soon!"The voice on the other end was intermittent, with a lot of noise."I'm on the side of the school cafeteria... It's very dangerous... Take me... away..."Hearing the word "dangerous," both Zhou Keren and Yang Mi became very nervous, and a serious look flashed in Zhang Yi's eyes.Zhang Yi asked, "What kind of danger?""Cats... they... killed..."The voice became more and more chaotic, and the sound of electricity made the ears ache.Zhang Yi frowned, intending to continue asking, when suddenly a terrifying and eerie voice came from the other end.It wasn't a roar that a human could produce, but a piercing, extremely long and terrifying scream.Zhang Yi, Yang Mi, and Zhou Keren all broke out in cold sweat, with Yang Mi and Zhou Keren turning pale and rushing into Zhang Yi's arms.Then they heard chaotic screams from the other end of the phone."Run!""Monsters! Monsters!"The voices of the group were filled with horror and despair.And that extremely eerie voice never stopped.Zhang Yi even heard the sound of limbs being torn apart and bones being gnawed.This sound was more chilling than anything he had heard when he was surviving in the Yue Lu District!"Crackle... Click...""Beep, beep, beep..."The phone was suddenly hung up, leaving only the busy tone echoing anxiously.

( If you enjoy this novel, feel free to tip via PayPal: wjw6710@gmail.com . Any amount is appreciated. Your support is my greatest motivation to continue. Thank you! )