Chapter 245: Devour

Despite the gunshot, Liu Ziyang did not perish.He remained constantly vigilant against the hidden sniper. His ghostly movements narrowly evaded Zhang Yi's bullet!"An ability that enhances speed and agility, perhaps?" Zhang Yi made a preliminary assessment of Liu Ziyang's capabilities.Yet, he wasn't in a rush. He quietly reloaded his gun. "Let's see how long you can keep this up!"Liu Ziyang had to contend with the combined assault of Zhang Yi and Huahua. He was dodging bullets from afar and evading the massive creature in front of him. Soon, he began to struggle.Another bullet from Zhang Yi came hurtling towards him, carrying a lethal force that even bulletproof vests might not withstand. A trickle of blood seeped from the corner of Liu Ziyang's mouth as he forcibly activated his ability again. His figure left a ghostly afterimage in midair, dodging the bullet. But as he felt a moment of relief, a gigantic shadow pounced at him from the side."Roar!"Huahua opened its massive jaws, clamping down hard on half of his body."Crunch!"The sound of breaking echoed—whether it was Liu Ziyang's bulletproof vest or his bones was unclear."Ahhhhh!!!" His agonized scream spread across the wilderness.In his final moments, he raised his gun towards Huahua's eyes, intending to take it down with him.But before he could, Zhang Yi fired another shot, finishing him off.With that, the two intruders of Zhang Yi's sanctuary were both dead.Zhang Yi breathed a slight sigh of relief and drove his snowmobile over.When he arrived at the scene, Huahua had already reverted to its normal size and was crouched on the woman's body, looking at Zhang Yi expectantly."Meow—" Huahua meowed loudly.After all, transforming required a lot of energy for it.Zhang Yi smiled slightly and took out several cans of tuna from his spatial dimension, placing them beside Huahua.Huahua skillfully sliced open the cans with its sharp claws and began to eat.Meanwhile, Zhang Yi went to inspect the two bodies.One was a tall man, fully armed, encased in thick white armor. However, there was now a crescent-shaped wound on his body from Huahua's bite.The armor was not completely shattered, indicating it was made of an extraordinary material, likely special forces equipment. Unfortunately, it was damaged. Zhang Yi planned to take it back for further study.Just then, Huahua meowed twice at Zhang Yi.He turned to look and saw Huahua gesturing towards the woman."Hmm? What's up?" Zhang Yi recognized her as the woman who had phased through walls into his sanctuary. If not for her bizarre ability, Zhang Yi wouldn't have had such a strong urge to kill. His sanctuary was his primary source of security and no one was allowed to violate it!She was now frozen stiff, but her thin white bodysuit was clearly made of special material, likely offering substantial defense. Wearing such thin clothing in this weather must be related to her abilities.Zhang Yi approached, intending to search her body. As soon as his right hand touched her, he felt a shock, a sensation rushing to his brain like a biological instinct being awakened.Huahua squinted its eyes and meowed again.Zhang Yi swallowed. He understood why Huahua wanted him to inspect this woman. A voice in his head told him he could steal her power!He placed his right hand on her forehead, and a surge of energy flowed into him through his arm. The exhilaration made Zhang Yi almost shout with joy!This was his first time devouring another person's power!After absorbing Xie Huanhuan's power, Zhang Yi felt significantly stronger, like a starving man who had just had a full meal, invigorated."So, powers can be devoured?" Zhang Yi looked at his palm in disbelief.By now, Xie Huanhuan's body lay lifeless, like an empty husk.Huahua meowed again. Animals always have a sharper instinct than humans. It had sensed Xie Huanhuan's power and chose to leave it for Zhang Yi.Deeply moved, Zhang Yi couldn't help but hug and kiss Huahua."Huahua, thank you! You're so good!" Huahua nudged him affectionately before impatiently jumping down to continue eating its tuna.Zhang Yi puzzled over the man's corpse. "Wasn't he also a mutant? Why didn't I feel anything when I touched him?""This world is full of mysteries," Zhang Yi mused, shaking his head.He stored both bodies in his spatial dimension and cleaned the blood from the scene. However, he couldn't erase the tracks they'd left on the way here, which extended almost five kilometers."There's nothing I can do about that! They've already discovered my location. If they want to attack, I'll be ready.""I want to see who can invade my sanctuary now that this wall-phasing woman is dead!" Zhang Yi tried to bolster his confidence but remained cautious. These two were clearly not loners but members of a powerful organization.Their uniforms indicated as much. And that organization surely had more than just these two mutants. They could have more warriors, even entire units!"Once I return, I'll need to think about further defenses!" Zhang Yi rubbed his temples in frustration. Why did people keep disturbing his peaceful life?But fear was not an option. The heavy snow made it impossible for anyone to bring in modern heavy weapons. The most they could use were portable heavy weapons.What could they use to breach his sanctuary?"I'll head back first! Better safe than sorry. More preparation never hurts."Regardless of what opponents might come, Zhang Yi would always be ready to respond. Life was not something to be taken lightly.