Chapter 237 Reconnaissance

Seeing Zhang Yi's warning, Xu Pangzi's chubby face broke into a happy smile. It felt good to be cared for. But he didn't take it to heart. Xujiatown used to be just a nondescript village on the outskirts of Tianhai City. Not only were the house prices very cheap, but the people of Xujiatown also had no status in the eyes of city dwellers.
In such a place, who would bother to care?"Zhang Ge is really something. Even if someone cares about something, it would be about the villa you live in!"Xu Pangzi tossed his phone onto the table and continued flipping through his adult comics.Meanwhile, twenty-seven kilometers west of Xujiatown, there was once a newly developed urban area of Tianhai City, where you could still see buildings through the ice and snow. Slowly emerging from this newly developed area were two figures, a peculiar pair indeed.One was a tall, burly man over two meters tall, resembling a giant bear in physique. The other was a slender woman dressed in thin clothes, her body agile and graceful. Both were dressed in white, making them almost invisible in the snow. The woman wore very little clothing, a tight-fitting white leather outfit that accentuated her well-proportioned figure. In temperatures below minus sixty degrees, it was unimaginable that someone could wear so little. She didn't even wear a hat or scarf, yet she seemed unaffected by the cold.The tall man carried a rifle wrapped in white cloth on his back, leaving deep footprints with every step. Clearly, he disliked the sensation, as every step seemed strenuous for him."I wonder when this snow will stop! If it keeps falling for a few more months, the whole world might be buried," Liu Ziyang said, looking up at the sky where snowflakes were swirling, his rugged face showing a frustrated expression.Beside him, Second Lieutenant Xie Huanhuan from the West Mountain Base smiled lightly and said, "The snow won't last forever. The moisture in the air has almost condensed, and without evaporation from other areas, there won't be more snow and ice."She reached out her fair hand and caught a snowflake. "I heard even temperatures near the equator have dropped to minus twenty degrees.""So, from now on, there will only be cold, and snowfall will become increasingly rare. This is probably the last bit of mercy from the heavens towards the world," Liu Ziyang scratched his head, not quite grasping the meaning behind Xie Huanhuan's poetic words.Ignoring him, Xie Huanhuan walked straight to the sled tied to the side of the road. Sitting on a large dog, her slender body seemed weightless. She then took out a palm-sized device from a cloth bag around her waist, which was used for communication with the West Mountain Base.Xie Huanhuan and Liu Ziyang's main task was to investigate the situation around the West Mountain Base. "The investigation of the West Mountain area and the east of Yuxin City is complete," Xie Huanhuan said as she looked at the device. Several locations were marked on it.Liu Ziyang asked, "Where are we going next?"Xie Huanhuan looked at the device and said, "Originally, our investigation was limited to the West Mountain area. But this time, according to the instructions, there's another place we need to specifically search.""Special search?" Liu Ziyang was curious.The difference in status between the two was evident. Xie Huanhuan outranked Liu Ziyang, and at least in terms of action routes, she was always in control."The upper echelons have given us a special task without specifying the details. But it's probably not anything particularly important.""As usual, we'll just go and take a look, then report back," Xie Huanhuan said casually.Suddenly, she stood on the sled and looked into the distance, her hand shading her eyes. At the end of her line of sight, a river reflected the light."That place is by the river. We can find it by following the river!" Due to the extreme cold, many base stations worldwide had been damaged, making it difficult for various positioning devices to function. Even if the location could be seen on a map, the map was from before the apocalypse, and now it was only for reference. Confirmation of the location still required manual effort."Let's go! This is the last stop, then we're done," Xie Huanhuan said with a smile as she sat on the sled.Liu Ziyang whistled to the four Alaskan Malamutes in front and pushed the sled from behind. It wasn't until the speed picked up that he stood behind.Obviously, with his physique, it was difficult for him to pull even four large sled dogs....Over an hour later, Xie Huanhuan and Liu Ziyang arrived at Xujiatown. As they approached the snowy area, they were both surprised by what they saw.Their destination was originally Yunque Manor by the river. However, as they approached along the river, they could see a village made of ice and snow. Especially in the middle of the village, the huge ice and snow castle was particularly eye-catching.Curious, they decided to take a look at what was happening here.When the sled approached the outskirts of Dong Village, it immediately aroused the vigilance of the sled dogs raised in the village."Woof woof!"A dog at the head of the village barked, and all the dogs in the village followed suit. This commotion made everyone in the village, young and old, tense.Since their last failed attack on Yunque Manor, where Zhang Yi single-handedly slaughtered over a hundred people, they had been living in constant fear. Although Zhang Yi had reached a truce with Xu Pangzi, promising not to harm the people of Dong Village in the future, these villagers were still terrified, worrying that any slight disturbance might mean another attack by Zhang Yi.So, all the villagers armed themselves and brought their dogs to confront the newcomers.Seeing so many people, Xie Huanhuan and Liu Ziyang couldn't help but show surprise in their eyes."I didn't expect so many survivors in this place!""Not only did they not freeze or starve to death, but they also maintained the size of the village. It's incredible!"They became even more curious about this village.A leading figure among the villagers held a hunting rifle and asked coldly, "Who are you people? What do you want in our Dong Village?"Liu Ziyang frowned, his right hand already on the safety of his rifle. Meanwhile, Xie Huanhuan smiled faintly and stepped forward, saying, "I am Second Lieutenant of the Tianhai Naval District. This time, I am here on behalf of the official organization to search and assist survivors in the snow disaster. Please don't be nervous!"As she spoke, she took out her credentials from her pocket and showed them to the villagers.She knew very well that these survivors still had high expectations of the government. Therefore, showing her identity could avoid a lot of trouble. ( This novel is entirely free. If you enjoy it, feel free to tip via PayPal: wjw6710@gmail.com . Any amount is appreciated. Your support is my greatest motivation to continue. Thank you! )