Chapter 216: Fight to the Death

Xu Fatty's suspicions were not entirely unfounded. Even he, without adequate preparation, had almost been killed by that black monster.
Moreover, judging by its size, the amount of food it required was enormous, at least dozens of times that of an ordinary person. Apart from eating the people in the school, Xu Fatty couldn't imagine how it had managed to survive until now.But Zhang Yi didn't see it that way."There's something you guys didn't notice just now.""This fellow didn't intend to harm us from the beginning."Zhang Yi looked at Xu Fatty. "If you hadn't suddenly attacked it, provoking it, perhaps things wouldn't have ended like this."Xu Fatty looked puzzled. "Huh? Did I provoke it? But, I was terrified at the time!"Zhang Yi recalled the eyes of that monster, feeling that it had a kind of intelligence, unlike a creature that had completely lost its reason and only knew how to hunt for food."Mutation might have elevated its intelligence to a high level, perhaps not inferior to humans.""And that phone call, I did hear Yang Xinxin's voice. It couldn't have been the monster."He walked to the edge of the huge hole and looked down. The hole was large enough for a car to pass through without any problem. And if the monster needed to pass, the hole it drilled provided circulation for air inside.Perhaps that's why they hadn't suffocated.After much thought, Zhang Yi made a decision."Let's go, let's go down from here and take a look!""What? Go down from here!"Xu Fatty was startled. "What if we encounter that monster again? This is its territory!"Zhang Yi gave Xu Fatty a deep look."Do you want to think about what you're saying again?"Xu Fatty was at a loss under Zhang Yi's gaze.With a sigh, Zhang Yi said, "Have you forgotten what your ability is?""You're a cryokinetic, and you're afraid of fighting in the snow!"Xu Fatty suddenly realized. "Oh, right!"With his ability, the more snow and ice there were, the stronger his combat power became. Even if that monster dared to attack in the depths of the snow, Xu Fatty could bury it alive with tens of thousands of tons of snow!Xu Fatty scratched his head embarrassedly. "I was just a little scared earlier, hehe."Zhang Yi didn't criticize him further.Among the three of them, Xu Fatty had the least practical combat experience, and he was also the most timid. With more battles in the future, his strength would also grow stronger.The strength of abilities wasn't the sole determinant of combat power. Intelligence, courage, and even luck were important components of strength.With Xu Chunlei's ability as a foundation, along with Zhang Yi's absolute defense and Uncle You's sturdy shield, they weren't afraid of encountering that monster underground.Zhang Yi stored the two snowmobiles in the alternate space, and the three of them leaped down along the cave created by the monster.After landing, they discovered that the world beneath the snow was interconnected. This was the monster's territory, and it had already created many passages, albeit some were dark.Zhang Yi took out a miner's lamp, instantly illuminating a hundred meters ahead after turning it on. Now, even if the monster wanted to attack suddenly in the dark, it couldn't.Zhang Yi took out two boxes of markers from the alternate space. "Let's use these to mark our path so we won't get lost underground.""But underground, we'll be even more lost. What should we do?" asked Xu Chunlei.Uncle You sniffed cautiously. "There's a strong smell of blood in the air.""It should be from that monster! Who knows how many people it has eaten. We should take the path with less blood smell," Xu Fatty said immediately.Zhang Yi looked at the timid Fatty, rolling his eyes helplessly."All three of us are here, and the snowy terrain is your specialty. Can you be a little braver?""If we really encounter it, it should be running from us!" Zhang Yi said confidently.Listening to Zhang Yi's confident words, Xu Fatty felt a sense of reassurance. Having such a big brother with him was great!"Yeah, okay, Boss!" Uncle You, relying on his strong tracking ability, led the way ahead, while Zhang Yi inserted markers into the snow walls every three or four meters, leaving only a small tail behind.This prevented the markers from being discovered and destroyed by the monster.---Tianqing Academy Gymnasium.Teacher Liang Yue had been here with over forty surviving students for three days.The last time they searched for food was also three days ago. In other words, everyone in the gymnasium was hungry.For Liang Yue, she was now trapped in a huge dilemma.The monster was lurking around them. As long as they showed the slightest vulnerability, it would attack and kill students as food.Liang Yue couldn't leave the students alone to search for supplies.But letting others leave meant sending them to their deaths.Facing such a mutated creature, ordinary people would be devoured in less than a minute.If the students hid in closed rooms, considering the thin air beneath the snow, they would either be killed by the monster or suffocate to death.Liang Yue had the strength to deal with the monster, but she couldn't take the students with her to search for supplies.They had tried this before, and the result was that the monster ignored her and directly attacked the students, causing heavy casualties.Now, she guarded the entrance of the gymnasium with a Tang sword in hand.For three days, the monster hadn't attacked again.But Liang Yue's instincts told her that the monster was nearby."We can't keep this up!"Liang Yue opened her eyes, a hint of exhaustion flashing deep within them.For three consecutive days, she had only eaten a little food, and the hunger in her stomach made her restless and anxious.If this continued, they wouldn't need the monster to attack; someone would starve to death.Liang Yue wanted to protect all the students. It was her responsibility as a teacher and a special bodyguard.But reality was so cruel, forcing you to make sacrifices.