[Chapter 1: Always Wonder]

Have extraterrestrials been monitoring human progress for thousands of years--at times helping us to advance, and at other times holding us back? Is there really an alien agenda. More importantly is humanity ready to face it?

Was it curiosity? Or something more profound lurking behind my strange need to know more. Humanity's otherworldly connections, the truth behind our mysterious history. These puzzles constantly filled my thoughts. Everytime I think I have fixed a piece to the big picture, another hole appears out of nowhere. It was a never-ending cycle.

Yet I never wanted it to stop.

The tv blinked out when the credits of Ancient Aliens started rolling, as I clicked the off button on the remote. I sipped the last of my coffee and stood up from the couch.

I sighed and mumbled to myself," I wonder..."

I glanced at the pearly white wall clock on the kitchen wall as I placed my mug into the sink. Its hands pointed out that it was 12:30 p.m.

I rushed to my room and took a quick bath then slipped on a pair of black leggings and a simple linen top that fell just above my knees. I placed a hairband on top of my long dark hair and slipped on my watch. Before I left I had a quick look in the mirror. My dark brown eyes and caramel skin, portrayed my Indian origins clearly, and masked my Canadian nationality. I smiled to myself, my slightly chubby cheeks rising with my grin.

I slipped on ankle high boots and stepped out of the house.

I took a walk along the streets of the town, relishing the cool and fresh air. It was early September, hence the temperature had already started to drop significantly. I tugged on my light blue coat. People were going around their daily business, working hard despite it being a lovely Saturday. There were a few pedestrians on the side walk, saving me from the discomfort of walking through a crowd.

I stopped in front of an old building. It was a simple three storey corner lot, of a row of shops, in the rather quiet street of the town. It's concrete walls painted pristine white.

Upon reaching its two glass doors, I keyed in the password on the little device above the handle, the doors opened automatically letting in a daily customer, me.

"Morning, Uncle Elias," I greeted as I saw the middle aged man standing by a coffee table that had papers and books scattered everywhere.

The first floor of the building had a few small glass tables encircled with white sofas. There was an opening on the other end of the area leading to a small pantry.

The familiar man looked up and gave me a warm smile and replied, "Good morning to you too Laila. I've got some good news for you."

"Don't you always, " I smiled back.

Uncle Elias was not really my uncle, but I treated him that way. He was a researcher, and my favourite kind of researcher too, he was an archaeologist. He was really good friends with my father, hence I knew him ever since I was a little girl. He praised me a lot because of my curiosity towards history, space and mythology. He even says that my never-ending questions related to those topics were what drove him to delve into the mysterious topic of the ancient astronaut theory.

He walked away from the table and ushered me to follow him to the elevator beside a flight of stairs.

This building was his office for his research. The first floor was sort of like a lobby. It was the place he would have discussions with his colleagues. At the centre of the room a flight of stairs led up to his study. He installed an elevator years ago when he started getting a little rusty. The third floor was where I would usually spend my weekends, his library.

I loved Uncle Elias's library. It had shelves that were fixed all around the walls in a circular pattern and their heights reached up to the ceiling. He had a large mahogany desk at the side of the room looking pretty antique. I rarely used it.

The whole library looked antique to be honest, but I liked it that way. It brought about a strange sense of comfort to me. However, the old room still needed a splash of colour, and that was how a large red bean bag found its way into the library.

Uncle Elias walked towards the desk and picked up a large hardcover leather-bound book.

"I just received this from my colleagues. It's one of the rarest compilations of Mayan related extraterrestrial research. I went through it and tried to make connections..." He said looking at me amused.

I giggled in response. I lived by the words, never succumb to the luxury of coincidence. There always had to be a connections to these peculiar things.

"I came up with a few, but I knew your intelligence would definitely find a whole lot more. So, as my little apprentice I was wondering if you would like to look through it and see if anything clicks," he said, with a glimmer of pride in his eyes.

He loved calling me his little apprentice. He especially enjoyed the input and ideas I gave him.

I chuckled and nodded. He handed me the book and allowed me to bounce into my bean bag and start flipping through the old pages. Uncle Elias made his was to the elevator but turned around sharply.

"Oh, I almost forgot. My sister and her family just moved into town. So I will be helping them move in later today. Do you plan on staying here till 5 or do you want to go home?" He asked.

I thought for a moment then decided, "You know what, I think I'll stay here. Don't worry I'll lock up when I leave."

"Very well then," he said with a nod, and stepped into the elevator.

I let out a satisfied smile as the silence now engulfed the room. I shifted my weight a little in my beanbag and stepped into my world of mysteries.