[Chapter 38: Jump-start]

"I can't help but feel something fishy is going on," Axel said resting his head on the pillow of the plain white bed.

Both Axel and Uncle Elias dropped by my room, which was a part of the cluster of buildings that were the living quarters.

I rolled my eyes,"Uncle Elias, can you knock some sense into this guy?"

Uncle Elias chuckled, flipping through the book he borrowed from the huge library of Atlantis. He insisted on going to visit the place, when the Grey was supposed to take them back to the living quarters. He described the library as a paradise on Earth.

I could totally relate.

"Well Axel, it says here that the Atlanteans have indeed strong relations with humans both from the past and present. They mean no harm. There are us after all," Uncle Elias said, and then reclined back into the chair.

"What are you reading? Their guidebook?" Axel scoffed.

"No. Just a recorded history of the place," Uncle Elias replied.

Axel snorted,"And like all history books, it only states the truth," he said sarcastically.

"Axel, why are you so against them?!" I said, surprised and frustrated with his attitude.

He sighed, then covered his eyes with his forearm,"I... don't know. Something just doesn't feel right."

I shook my head, and tried brushing off the topic. However, no matter how I tried, I still felt a tinge of suspicion towards them. Maybe it was because I found out that they have been abducting me and experimenting on me, all this while. I knew it was for good, but I still could not help but feel uncomfortable.

"So, Uncle Elias, tell me about that library," I said, trying to get my mind off the suspicion.

Uncle Elias shut his book and his eyes gleamed with excitement, as he began elaborating.
---------------------------------
4 months 7 days 7 hours 3 minutes 16 seconds

I could not help but shift in my seat nervously, as I made my way to the research tower. Slowly hovering through the streets of the futuristic city, I observed the number of similar vehicles to mine, zip around, carrying Greys to their workplaces. The place bustled with plenty of activity, as the dreaded day drew near. Numerous saucers came in and out of the gleaming blue force field, the huge mothership was back in action.

We stopped in front of the tower, and made our way through the various security checks. Once in the building, the Grey zipped away, and General A-Roz came to greet me.

"Good morning, Laila," he said, in his thick voice, which became less raspy than it was yesterday.

I nodded and greeted him back. We made our way up to the floor that contained the experimenting rooms. I shuddered as General A-Roz ushered me into my chamber.

Another Grey, with a lab coat, entered the room and began its work on the huge screen, activating the few devices in the room.

"Laila, today we are going to carry out a few tests to analyse your state and level of development of the implants in your body. So if you don't mind, please enter the cylinder," General A-Roz said.

I hesitated, and stared at the cylinder. I wanted to reply, yes I do mind! But I bit back the comment.

I stepped into the cylinder, and stared at my reflection through the slightly reflective glass. The Grey was glancing at the cylinder and tapping something on the screen, while General A-Roz seemed to be ordering him to carry out the procedure.

The sight of it made me suddenly gasp, as an image flashed into my mind.

I was looking at the same scene, only green gas was filling my cylinder, and my hands were banging on the glass walls. My hands were much smaller, and I stared through the glass, at the eyes of a Grey, trying to find a hint of mercy, as the gas filled my lungs and suffocated me.

The image vanished, and I leaned on the glass for support, as I steadied my breathing.

Was that a vision? Or a memory?

A voice sounded through the speaker in the cylinder,"Is everything okay, Laila?"

I nodded weakly. General A-Roz signalled the Grey and I saw it slide it's fingers across the screen. I heard a hissing sound, and soon a thin layer of vapour formed on the screen, obstructing my view. My mind felt hazy, and I was breathing much slower. Four robotic arms, clamped my ankles and wrists as my consciousness slowly slipped away.

My head dropped down, as my eyelids closed, and I passed out. Again.

---------------------------------------------
The needles and scanners did their work in analysing the state of Subject 5. General A-Roz signalled for the Grey to give him a summary on the analysis.

"Her progress in unlocking her abilities are much slower than predicted, General," the Grey reported in his insect-like voice.

General A-Roz stared at the numbers and meters on the screen.

"I predicted that much," General A-Roz murmured.

It was amazing enough that Subject 5 unlocked her ability to access the Akashic records. It was only then that, they could contact her and bring her to Atlantis. But he could not deny that their schedule had been set back. They were delayed by a month.

General A-Roz glanced at the cylinder, where Subject 5 was clamped upright, unconscious, as the pale blue gas filled her lungs.

She was all they had left. They could not risk anymore delays.

"General, we have to-"

"I am well aware," General A-Roz said cutting the Grey off.

The Grey turned back to screen and the general folded his arms. Both pondering the risks. A month has already been delayed. It was only a matter of time, before the E.T. strike.
But even so, the consequences, are too risky.

"She might not survive," the Grey finally said, after a stretch of silence.

General A-Roz nodded. Would they risk it? The chances of her survival were slim. But judging by the progress she was making, they would not make it in time, not without a jump-start.

But if they did give her a jump-start and if she died in the process, they would have no chance at all.

"26.092%," the Grey said, staring at the cylinder.

"Pardon?" The general said.

"Her chances of survival are 26.092%," the Grey explained.

"How sure are you?" General A-Roz asked.

26.092% was a too small gap for success. But he knew better than to deny his assistant.

The Grey turned to him, and stared at him.

"Have I ever been wrong with my predictions?" He simply said.

General A-Roz took a deep breath, and shook his head, but gave him a look of resolve.

"Do it."

The Grey nodded, betraying not a hint of worry or sympathy. He lowered the level of the gas.

General A-Roz, tapped on the communicator on his wrist and signalled for two Greys to assist Subject 5 to the operation theatre.