[Chapter 47: Hope]

I stood at the center of a large dome. It seemed like an observatory, but the panels were closed, however the stars were visible. The dome was playing an immensely beautiful galactic landscape, that changed gradually.

"It projects the images viewed directly by the AXA space telescope. A space telescope us time travelers launched decades ago," the general said.

I felt overwhelmed staring at the endless cosmos spread before me. Thick, colorful nebulae that rose from the depths of space, wisps of glittering belts of space rocks, and filling the entire expanse were trillions of stars, shimmering from their distant galaxies, light years away.

One of them, probably hosting a planet with life. Life that wanted ours, like the enemy extraterrestrials, or maybe planets with life, watching the Sun as a twinkling star, as we watched theirs.

At that moment, I felt as if anything was possible. If an amazing reality like this exists, anything could happen. The cosmic dance before me, gave me a strange sense of hope. Despite the troubles that were to come, the cosmic dance would not end. It would still bloom with new celestial entities and burst with the death of others. It was a never ending song, I was happy to be a part of.

"It enlightens you doesn't it?" The general said. I was too engrossed I completely forgot he was there.

"It's beautiful," I said with a sigh, staring back at the landscape.

The general clasped his hands in front of him, and shut his eyes momentarily. He was deep in thought, in a pensive mood, his face relaxing into a peaceful expression.

After a few moments he opened his eyes. His black almond eyes reflecting the multicoloured universe.

"What were you doing?" I asked.

"Praying," he answered.

I raised an eyebrow at his monosyllabic answer.

"But... I thought you don't believe in god. I mean, we know they were actually the extraterrestrials," I said slowly, puzzled by his actions.

The general gave me a small smile.

"Yes, I am aware of that. I am not praying to the extraterrestrials, but maybe something else. Maybe, something or someone truly powerful out there, watching over us, pulling the strings of fate," he said, staring up at the distant stars.

I was baffled,"But there is no powerful being. We decide our fate, no one else is watching over us. The universe wasn't created by some god," I retorted.

It was mind-boggling to believe that the head of the people of the future, who are well aware that they were fooled by the aliens into thinking that the aliens were powerful beings, believed in god.

The general let out a soft sigh,"The people of Atlantis, the humans of the future, every single one of us, has lost too much. We grieve all our lives. Our loved ones perished, our race a non-becoming memory."

He turned to me,"We are now, only left with one purpose. To save humanity, to change the ways of the prophecy. Our entire lives have been devoted into this. Now tell me, Laila, if you were me, would you ever stay sane, knowing you have nothing to rely on, and the world as you know it would cease to exist, what's worse you wouldn't know if your plan to stop it would succeed?"

I was silent. I actually understood what the general was conveying to me. I recalled the time I accidentally glimpsed into his past. The grief he was carrying, as he and Dr. V-Ron, left their race, their era.

It was terrible.

And if I were to live with that sort of pain for the rest of my life. I would in fact, go insane.

"We all went through with this plan with hopes that it would succeed. We are relying on mere hope. Humans are fragile that way. We are easily broken, without hope. Hope binds us together keeping us sane.

"That was truly the purpose of the existence of gods in our minds. We needed something to lean on, something to believe in. Acting as a guideline. A simple thought that one could turn to when they start to lose hope," he said, each word with heavy emotion.

"It might be just a fabrication of the mind. But if our consciousness are satisfied that no matter what the costs there is something to build our hope on, then I don't think it's entirely ridiculous to believe that there is a superior existence somewhere, maybe high up there, or deep within, to have faith in, to shed light during our darkest hours," he said, turning back to the viewing panels.

I let his words sink in. I felt overwhelmed with emotions, both despair and hope at the same time. But I understood, the purpose, the fragility of the human mind.

I saw the flickering stars on the panels, the never-ending universe. We were just a small part of it, a small and weak part of it. Thus, we relied on the hope beyond our frontiers. Our mission to never stop singing the tunes of the cosmos, to always be part of this orchestra.

"Far beyond, or deep within. It is hope," I said to the stars.

"I believe that is the true god," General A-Roz said, continuing my sentence.

"Listen carefully, Laila," he said, making me face him.

His expression portrayed sadness but determination,"Always believe in it. Believe that there is hope. No matter what they say."

I nodded firmly, tears threatening to spill from my eyes. I knew the words meant much more than that. He wanted to keep on hoping no matter how bad the outcome, no matter what I would face.

"That's why you brought me here," I said softly.

General A-Roz eyed me. We both knew that I was now aware of his intentions. A distasteful future was ahead of me.

I glanced at the cosmos one last time, before, staring at him head-on.

"General A-Roz, I am prepared. No matter what happens to me, you have to go on with the plan. Don't let me hold you back," I said with resolve.

The general's expression faltered, but then he looked relieved... and grateful.

"Thank you, Laila."