[Chapter 50: Aboard]

13 hours 18 minutes 42 seconds

"Good luck, Laila," Uncle Elias said, after releasing me from a hug, tears brimming his eyes.

After a long parting conversation, and my request to send a message to my friends and family, I turned on my heel, and headed for my craft. I stood by the inclined platform leading to the craft, while the pilot got to work, carrying out final tests.

Whilst waiting, Dr. V-Ron unexpectedly came by, as emotionless as ever.

"Do not fail," he said, arms crossed.

I rolled my eyes,"Yeah, I am sort of sacrificing myself, I wouldn't want to fail."

He eyed me for a moment, before muttering softly, but thanks to his training, my senses were heightened enough to hear it.

"There is still a chance you might survive."

I smirked,"But I thought you didn't believe in chances, and miracles?"

He gave me an annoyed look, but his words surprised me.

"Maybe I was wrong to not believe in them. Good luck," he said, in a low tone, hastily, before turning away not waiting for my response.

A smile, slowly spread across my face. It was possibly the nicest, most encouraging thing Dr. V-Ron has ever said to me. And he never wronged himself either.

I guess there was a first time for everything.

I balled my fists. There was hope. I believed in it.

The pilot signalled for me to board the ship. I did so, followed by a number of soldiers. Strapping myself onto my seat, and clasping the helmet onto my head, I saw the aircraft's door close.

Through the circular windows, I saw General A-Roz, hands clasped, gazing up to the sky. Praying.

I pressed my hands together and closed my eyes as well. Hopefully someone would hear our prayers and pull the strings of fate to save humanity. And me.

The sound of the thrusters roared despite my soundproof padding of my helmet. I saw us rise from the ground, travel out of the hangar, and out of the force field of Atlantis.

A strange worry and dread settled within me as we freed ourselves from the protection of our allies, and headed for the dangers of our enemies. The pressure pushed me back into my seat, as we zipped off, in light speed.
--------------------------------------------
There was not a word uttered throughout the journey. A steady humming filled the silence. The journey was nerve-wracking. I knew we were traveling in super speed. But it felt like ages. Every second, seemed like an eternity.

I glanced at the timer strapped onto my wrist, counting down to the activation. To my death.

I gazed around at the stoic faces of the soldiers around me. Their expressions were similar to empty voids that made their almond eyes even creepier. Their grey leathery faces, masking all emotions.

But I knew better.

I knew every single one of these Greys have risked more than anything for a battle to save humanity. They were ready to get shot through the head, for the single cause they lived for. They were looking death straight in the eye.

Suddenly, their devoid eyes spoke more. A devastating yet heroic tale of humanity, till its final minutes.

I glanced at my watch.

11 hours 38 minutes 30 seconds

The milliseconds ticked rapidly. It felt like a timer strapped to a bomb. Waiting to blow.

Moments later, the first voices I heard since the journey resounded. It was insect-like, robot-like, but with my abilities I understood it like my mother tongue.

BARRIER BREACHING SYSTEM ACTIVATED

A high frequency sound, followed by a boom, jolted the craft. A series of blasts and booms were heard after that. It went on and on, I was worried the breaching system was not powerful enough to take down the force-field.

But then a huge electromagnetic wave lashed out at the crafts throwing us back. I felt the air leave my lungs as we were flung back. The situation gave me a strong sense of Deja Vu. As my helmet dug into the headrest of my seat, I heard the sound of the robotic system.

BARRIER BREACHED

I let out a weary sigh. The cabin pressure altered, as we descended. My ears popped from the pressure. I clutched the seat belts tightly. The loud engine sounds resounded throughout the craft. The craft landed gracefully onto enemy soil.

I glanced out the window, and saw the various aircrafts of Atlantis touchdown as well. The grassy green landscape around us, was windblown to the side, the radiation of our crafts leaving imprints on the grass.

The front line of soldiers were out of their crafts. Blasters on the ready. Then, came the second line, third and fourth.

I knew I had to wait till half the soldiers were out, to ensure I was secured. After waiting for more tense moments, my aircraft door slid open, with a hiss. Unbuckling from my seat, five soldiers exited the craft, followed by me, and another five at the back.

As soon as I climbed down the ramp, and touched the enemy soil, a boom shook the earth. All the soldiers, trained and ready, aimed their weapons and the bushy forest of trees around us.

A minute of utter stillness passed. The soldiers edged closer to the thicket of trees.

My heart pounded loudly. I peeked through the heads of the numerous soldiers that surrounded me. My hands trembled slightly as I tapped on the panel of the blaster strapped onto my wrist. It turned on.

A second later I heard the thump of a body hit the ground. Then another, and another, only milliseconds apart.

Three Greys down. I heard the startup sound of the blasters.

And all of hell broke loose.