[Chapter 49: First and Last]

"I have to do this, Axel!" I cried, tears streaming down my face.

"No you don't!" Axel retorted.

He was beyond furious, and our argument had been going on for quite a while.

He grabbed my wrist and pulled me towards him.

"I'm not letting you sacrifice your life... just like that," he said, his voice a harsh whisper, cracking at the end.

I gazed up at his worried eyes. I wrapped my arms around his torso and leaned onto his chest.

"I'm sorry," I said in a muffled voice.

I knew he cared about me. He told me himself, he would not want to get me in danger, I was important to him. He was important to me.

Axel's arms came around me as well, as he rested his cheek on my head.

"I can't let you die, I just..." he trailed off.

"I know, I don't want to leave you, or anyone else either," I replied, sobs choking my throat.

I pulled away slightly, to look up.

"But I have to do this, Axel. I can't live my life with my family, friends, you, controlled by some aliens. I want humanity to survive. I am willing to die for that," I spoke to him, crying but with resolve.

Axel's eyes were getting moist. His face played a mix of emotions. He was torn apart, on whether to let me go or not. But I gave him a determined stare, and he surrendered. He sighed and gave me a sad smile.

"You are terribly stubborn," he said.

I sunk back into his embrace, burying my head into his chest.

"I'll miss you," he said in a whisper.

I nodded,"Me too."
---------------------------------------------
15 hours 15 minutes 32 seconds

Two Greys were strapping weapons and equipment onto my body. I had a laser on my wrist, a utility belt full of stuff I hoped I remembered how to use, a blaster strapped on my back, and the bulletproof suit I was wearing, surely made it seem like it was too much, but I was comparatively under-dressed. The others in the squad were heavily equipped.

I adjusted a few of the straps to my comfort, and tested my movements a little. This would finally be the time, for all my physical training to pay off. I snorted thinking to myself, let's make Dr. V-Ron proud!

After making the necessary adjustments, I was brought to the departure area. Teams were forming lines, and Sergeant C-Roc was re-briefing everyone on their assigned crafts.

The departure area was connected to the hangar. A large number of saucers, triangular crafts and larger cylindrical vessels, were lined up, waiting for occupants.

It seriously felt all too Star Wars-ish.

I went over to a meeting room, at the further end of the departures. Axel, Uncle Elias and I were supposed to gather there for a final meet-up with General A-Roz.

Uncle Elias was not following us to the mission, obviously as I would not allow him to. He was definitely too rusty for combat, and I secretly just did not want him to be one of the prostrate bodies on the battlefield.

Of course, I said the same to Axel. But he was not letting me go by myself. He said it was the least he could to do to follow me, what with all the sacrificing I was about to do.

Sacrificing.

My palms were sweaty, and my heart pounded. I did not know what to feel. It was as if the Grim Reaper dropped by and told me my death date. I could do nothing to change it. I was going to die. I would be flying to my own death.

Suddenly, the departure area felt a lot more terrifying. Departing not just from Atlantis, but life itself.

I shuddered involuntarily.

Have hope. Was what I replayed in my head over and over again. Was that the general's way of letting me know, I might still survive? Dr. V-Ron would just pop by, and tell me the percentage of my survival, which would be a terribly small number.

But the numbers did not really matter. Right?

I needed to believe, in myself and possibly the forces of nature, to most probably turn my fate to another brighter direction. Hope was all I needed.

I stepped into the meeting room. Only Axel was present at the moment. The simple meeting room, was silent and Axel's grim expression did not help lighten the mood.

"Where are the rest?" I asked.

He looked up, snapping out of his reverie. Then shrugged. He got up from his seat, and strode over to me. He stopped inches away from me.

For a moment, we simply stared at each other. And by far, our eyes played more than enough emotions sans words.

My heart ached at the thought of leaving everyone. I would be putting them in grieve. Would it be right to tell them not to think of me? Move on. And forget.

"I'm not going to forget you," Axel said, his voice a mere whisper, but we were close enough for me to hear.

Emotions welled up within me, and I swallowed a lump forming in my throat.

"Can you somehow read minds?" I asked, in an amused yet croaky voice.

He smiled, a soft sad smile.

"I don't need to," he said.

Tears spilled from my eyes, as he pulled me into an embrace. I hoped it would be the last time I would cry of my death. I had to go through with it and be strong.

"I'll be with you, till the end," he whispered into my ear.

I looked up at him teary-eyed.

"Thank you."

His face moved inches closer to mine till we were a breath apart. I involuntarily closed my eyes, and our lips came together in a soft, bittersweet, kiss.

I savored the moment, not wanting it to end. His warm lips on mine was enough to make feel whole, if only for a moment.

I felt my life flash before me, as I shared with Axel, my first kiss.

My first and last kiss.