[Chapter 31: A Warning]

I found myself sitting on my beanbag, back at Uncle Elias's library. I tried moving, but once again was trapped in a weird sleep paralysis.

My sense of touch felt numb and I could not speak. Everytime I tried, my voice came out muffled, like my throat and mouth were filled with cotton.

But I was not choking. I was breathing fine.

A figure came into my view. It was Uncle Elias. His face buried in a book that he read as he paced around the room. He stopped in front of me. Then lowered the book from his face.

He was wearing a blank expression and kept staring at me. He was silent for a moment.

"Subject 5," a voice said.

At first I thought it came from elsewhere, as Uncle Elias did not move his mouth. The voice sounded nothing like Uncle Elias.

"Subject 5, Laila Chopra, you have done well," said the voice in monotone.

I noticed Uncle Elias' head move in sync with the voice. Yet his mouth remained still.

"I apologise for not being able to contact you earlier. This mean of communication only became available upon your recent development to manipulate your subconscious."

A sense of recognition hit me. I remembered the voice. It was robotic, monotonous and insect-like. It was similar to the voice of the Grey back at Area 51, and similar to the Grey that invaded my dreams a month ago.

Uncle Elias continued to move his head as gestures synchronizing with the voice.

"You have achieved more than any subject has, mainly succeeding in staying alive this long. You have escaped the assassinations as well as the memory wipe induced by our enemies," It said.

The voice transmitted through Uncle Elias continued to speak as I listened, unable to do anything more.

"It will only get more challenging, Subject 5. We want you to be mentally prepared for what's to come. If you are weak in the mind, you might not be able to take it."

"Understand when I say, I do not want it to be fatal. This plan must succeed. No matter what the costs are."

I felt slightly shocked at the words the Grey was saying. Not that it was new to me, to know that I had to be prepared for whatever, to save humanity and stuff. It was the fact that I felt the Grey speaking to me, was relaying emotions, despite its monotonous voice.

Maybe it was because, the emotions were portrayed by Uncle Elias. I could understand the feelings the Grey was conveying.

I felt compelled to hear more. Like I was finally getting the big picture of things. This Grey was indeed different.

The voice had a strong sense of authority as well. I had a feeling I was not listening to any common Grey.

"Stay alert at all times. Do not underestimate the enemy. They have capabilities we are still unsure of. But from past experiences, I believe that our forces have thoroughly investigated them. Nevertheless, they have succeeded in killing four of our subjects. It only concludes that we shall tread on with even more caution."

"We will meet, Subject 5. Once you reach our strongest base in our home planet. I hope to see you, ready to take the next actions. The sight of you would surely ignite hope, in what left we have of our desperate race."

"Once you have reached, we will brief you on the plans to come. We will require your full potential for this plan to be successful. Alas, Subject 5 you have only unlocked a quarter of your true abilities. But fret not, as the rest will resurface in time."

I could not help but wonder. What more was I capable of? I continued listening.

"I believe you have received help from many to reach this point. But I warn that not all of them will be allowed to enter the base.

"My sources have identified that you have accomplices with the son of Rosen Meier. I believe he is of good help. Rosen did well in aiding us. He was our stepping stone to get to you and the other subjects.

"Those in his bloodline, are born to help you. They are one of the few individuals that still have the ability to comprehend, the complex make-up of our universe. These people will serve you well. Thus, I will allow them to pass the barrier of our base.

"Those not involved shall be eliminated, or if by your request sent back to where they came from. I warn you now, not to bring unnecessary people along this journey."

I pondered on the topic for a moment. By unnecessary friends, was Axel included. Then again, he is Mr Rosen's grandson, which makes him part of the bloodline of people which can "comprehend the complex make-up of the universe" somehow. So I guessed he was in the clear.

Then there's the pilot of our jet. I hope the Grey is right when it says it will send him back home if I request it.

"Subject 5 I cannot interfere with your mind much longer. You are awakening from your subconscious."

"My final advice is to always be prepared for the worst. You will never know what is coming."

I tried to nod at his words. My vision was beginning to blur. The library was disappearing. My senses began to wake up. I felt my throat unclog.

"See you soon, Subject 5." Was the last I heard before everything disappeared,

And I woke up.