[Chapter 27: Reunite]

It was so nostalgic.

The musty smell of old books, the little creaking noise of the window, as the wind blew at it, the scratches on the floor from when Uncle Elias had large crates containing artifacts brought over for research.

I paid attention to every small detail. I knew this place so well, it filled me with strange warmth to be back. I missed this place, I missed Uncle Elias as well.

As we stepped into the library, I immediately dropped down onto my red bean bag and buried my face in my hands.

Things were different now, much more complicated. The days I spent, not caring about the world, absorbed into my books. It felt so long since I last did, although it was only a month ago.

I knew, I would never enjoy that peace again.

"Laila," Uncle Elias' voice cut my thoughts.

I looked at him, and suddenly felt tears spring to my eyes. Uncle Elias' expression softened.

Uncle Elias was against me getting involved with the agenda. And I did not listen. I was not disobeying him, it was mere instinct. I was programmed to pursue this mission.

But right now I felt like a guilty four-year old, not listening to what he said.I knew Axel was skeptical on whether or not we should trust Uncle Elias and tell him our plan.

Will he help us? Maybe not.

But at that point, I knew Uncle Elias was the only one who would understand. He was like a second father to me. I trusted him just like I'd do to my dad.

Tears rolled off my cheeks, and Uncle Elias gathered my wimpy four-year old self in his arms, while I cried.

I cried and told him everything.
----------------------
Axel and I took turns explaining every single bit. Of course he had to take over for most of the talking, when my sobs choked my throat.

And to think I was just laughing a few hours ago. I was an emotional wreck!

"And that's about it," Axel said, after he was finished explaining.

We told him, everything up till me regaining my memories. Uncle Elias let out a sigh.

"I know, it sounds crazy. You don't have to believe us," I said, wiping off the tears on my face. I steadied my breathing.

"You kids, want to pursue this?" Uncle Elias asked.

Axel and I, both nodded firmly. Uncle Elias shook his head. Then gave us a weak smile.

"Well then I know there's no stopping you," he said in surrender.

I stood up from the couch and went to Axel's side.

"We need help. But if you're not willing to help us... we'd-" I cut myself off unsure.

What would we do if Uncle Elias did not help?

Uncle Elias chuckled,"I rather help, than let you two run off on your own to fight aliens."

My heart lifted,"You will really help us?"

I felt hope surge through me. Things were finally looking up. Uncle Elias smiled and walked over to us, drawing us both in a hug.

"You two are very important to me. I only wanted you to be safe. That was why I stopped you. But..." he trailed off, and released us from his embrace.

"I understand now. What my father wanted," he said with a sad smile.

"If only I had not given up hope so easily. Unlike you two. Things would've been different," he continued.

"But you can change that. It's not too late," I encouraged.

He nodded slowly,"You're right. It isn't."

He turned away from us. Then started walking towards the elevator.

He paused, then turned back to us,"Well... what are you waiting for? We got a lost city to find."