Chapter 15: Demmy

Briar's POV

It's been three months and mommy still hasn't come out of her room yet. Daddy has been slouching against her door, mumbling incoherent words every single day. He wouldn't feed or budge from his spot, even if Aro ordered him to. I wondered what happened. When mommy got back, daddy was so happy. Why aren't they now? I miss my mommy. Is she even feeding?

"Briar. Brair!" 

I snapped out of my thoughts as Demetri shook my shoulders, a worried look plastered on his face.

"H-huh?" I asked.

"You spaced out. I asked you what you wanted for dinner," he said.

"Oh. Sorry. I'll take some lasagna if that isn't too much trouble," I smiled.

"No problem, little princess. Anything for you," he said, getting up.

If you hadn't noticed before, I'm half human. Which doesn't really make sense to me since mommy and daddy were both vampires. Huh. I'll never understand my life. I giggled before standing up and looking up at his towering figure. I grabbed his hand as he slowly led me towards the kitchen. I scuffled my feet, trying to get on the high stool. Suddenly, I misplaced my step and fell backwards, screaming as I waited for the impact. It never came. I slowly opened my squinted eyes, a pair of ruby ones staring back into mine. I blushed as got back on my feet.

"S-sorry," I mumbled, twisting my hair in between my fingers.

I could've sworn I heard a chuckle before Demetri turned on the stove. I shuffled towards the smaller stools that were set up for me, burying my head in my arms. Before I knew it, a plate was set in front of me and a mouthwatering smell made its way into my nose. I peeked up and saw a tempting plate of lasagna in front of me. Grabbing the fork, I stabbed the beautiful creation and stuffed it in my mouth, ignoring the burning on my tongue.

"I don't know how you do it, but you never disappoint me with your cooking Demmy," I giggled, stuffing more lasagna in my mouth.

He chuckled.

"Well, it is my duty and responsibility to take care of you and make sure that you are pleased in every single way, Briar," he said.

My smile turned into a frown.

"Is that all I am to you? A duty? A responsibility? A burden? I thought you were my friend Demmy," I whispered before running out of the room, ignoring the shouts of my name.