Chapter 14: But How?

“Wait who?” I asked Uncle Charlie.

“Race?” A voice called. My face lit up because Cooper raised his eyebrow. Connor walked in holding a bag of food.  I smiled at him.

“Hey Connor, what are you doing here?” I asked as Cooper helped me sit up.

“I was going to come see you anyway, but when I called to ask if I could you were crying, so I got off and shipped my ass here.” He nodded walking in and dropping the bag on the table. “Who’s this?” He nodded to Cooper who was still sitting behind me.

“He’s my boyfriend Cooper. Coop this is Connor, my oldest brother.” I smiled. Cooper nodded at Connor, as Connor did the same. I reached for the bag and my skin pulled the bruises causing me to go back and for Cooper to grab it for me.

“Do you want me to call Meg to get you some pain pills?” I shook my head. “Please for me.” He pouted. I looked at him then Connor who had the same face.

“Fine.” I pouted.

“I’ll get a nurse.” Connor nodded. He walked out and Cooper buried his head in my neck. I closed my eyes.

“I love you.” He smiled.

“I love you too.” I smiled moving my head and kissing his head. Someone cleared there throat. When I looked around I saw a nurse standing with Connor.

“The Doctor said you can leave today. She left you some pain pills. Also no school, stay in bed, and I will get you some crutches.” The nurse walked out as Cooper got up and grabbed my bag Jesse dropped off yesterday.

“Come on I will help you change.” Cooper smiled. Connor coughed, causing Cooper to go red.  “Or your brother could help you.” He said helping me sit down on the bed. “I’ll go get you something to drink.” With that he walked out fast. I looked at Connor with a glare.

“Really did you have to do that?” I hissed at him. He looked left, then right and then right back at me.

“Yup.” He smiled. I glared at him as he helped me up. I changed and when I walked out, which I mean limp with Connor’s help. When I was down, Connor sat down next to me. “Do you really love him?” He asked.

“Yeah I can’t see my life without him, it’s weird. I used to always think that I would not be with someone, but here comes along Jesse’s best friend.” I laughed.

“You were the perfect little Race. Now you’re all loved up.” He said rubbing my arm. I looked at him and shrugged.

“I guess you have to find the right person.” I looked up and smiled as Cooper walked down the hall chewing on something. I giggled as he walked into something. He looked up and smiled at me and mouthed ‘I love you.’

“Yeah, I guess you do.” He whispered. Cooper walked in and handed me a Dr. Pepper.

“Your favorite Pop my dear.” He smiled.

“Why thank you kind sir.” I giggled at him. He kissed my head and handed me the crutches the nurse left behind while I was in the bathroom. I got them with wobbly feet. Connor grabbed my bag as Cooper stood behind me ready to catch me if I fall. When we got back to the house I was exhausted from the crutches. Cooper watches as I almost fall 4 times.

“Baby let me carry you.” He smiles at me. I look over panting and nod. He picked me up easy enough and carried me in the house. I snuggled into his t-shirt as he walked to my room and as he laid me down, my pain medication kicking in, I passed out. He kissed my forehead, turned the lights outs, and closed my door. He looked up as Connor stood there with his arms folded over his chest.

“We need to talk okay, now.” Con said pointing to the kitchen.  Cooper walked into the kitchen silently. “You tell me everything, and now.”

“I don’t know what you mean Sir.” He said sitting down.

“Tell me about my sister and you.” He said sitting on the counter.

“There’s nothing to tell. I love her. She is my everything. Like love at first sight. I can’t see my life without her there next to me. When I heard she was in the hospital I freaked. I felt like someone was ripping my heart out.” He rubbed his face. “When I found out that it was Vicky, all I wanted to do was kill her.” Connor sighed.

“What do you want to do with your life?” Connor looked him up and down.

“I want Grace to me my wife and I want to be a United States Marine.” Cooper smiled. Connor scuffed.

“Have you told her?” He asked.

“No, not yet,” That made Connor look up at him.

“You want to be a marine, and you didn’t tell the girl you want to spend the rest of your life with?” He scuffed again.

“I, I was scared of what she will think.” He sighed. Connor looked at him.

“You can’t be a marine, if you don’t have a backbone.” Connor laughed at him as he went to make a sandwich for the two of them.

“But how am I going to tell her?” Cooper asked rubbing his hair.

“Just go out and say ‘Hey Grace I want to be a Marine.’ Not that hard.” Connor said plopping the sandwich in front of him.

“I just, what if she doesn’t want to be with me?” He asked taking a bite of the sandwich.

“She would never, but if you don’t tell her she will hate you, but she will be hurt, and I will kill you.” He said stealing the other half of the sandwich. “But if you go straight up and tell her she wouldn’t care. But if I remember she did always want to date a Marine.” He laughed remembering the memories.

“I guess you’re right.” Cooper sighed. “But how?” He laughed.

“Marines are wise, my future brother-in-law, always wise.”