Chapter 60: Perfect Timing

I woke to the feel of lips on my forehead. I opened my eyes to see a camo uniform. I was eye to eye with the words US Marine on one side and Banks on the other. I felt the tears roll down my face as I felt Cooper’s hands run down my face. I threw my arms around him and hugged my body close to his. “Hey Baby, you miss me?” He smiled pulling me up gently.

“So much.” I cried silently into his shirt so not to wake up Hunter. Cooper took a deep breath and looked at his sleeping little body.

“What’s wrong with Hunter? Why is his arm wrapped up?” Cooper asked frantic almost dropping me.

“Calm down Cooper.” I ran my hand over the stubble on his jaw. “He got stung by a bee and it was swelling so they said he can stay with me to make sure nothing else happens.” He nodded snuggling his head in my shoulder.  “I missed you so much.” I sighed.

“I miss you more than I miss air.” He whispered. He leaned up from my shoulder to kiss me, making room for me to snuggle into his chest. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” I looked at the clock. It was about 6 o’clock. I looked back up at Cooper. “Do you want to meet your new babies? It’s about feeding time.” Cooper nodded his head, but I could see the hint of fear in his eyes. “What’s wrong?” I asked.

“What if they don’t like me?” He asked. I looked at him.

“Why wouldn’t they like you? Your there Daddy. Also I love you, so they will love you.” I stroked his jaw. “Don’t worry, come on.” I smiled as the nurse brought in a wheel chair. Cooper helped me in it. The nurse rolled me down the hall with Cooper on her tail.

“Why are you in a wheel chair? Is everything okay?” He asked grabbing my hand. The nurse laughed.

“She is fine. We just want her to take it easy so nothing happens to her or pull some of the stitches.” She said as she pushed me over to the sink to wash my hands so I could hold my babies. The doctor smiled at me.

“Perfect timing Grace, it’s just about feeding time.” She picked up the little boy and hands him to me as I was sat in the rocking chair. “The good news for him is he is gaining weight so he is doing well. His breathing is doing well, his lungs are clear.” She smiled. Cooper sat down in the rocking chair next to me and smiled at the little boy in my arms. “Now the little girl is going amazing since we put the two of them together. She is gaining weight, her breathing is improving, and a couple of hours ago she woke up the whole NICU screaming for a feeding. We even tried a bottle and she is sucking away on it. They both are working wonders. They might be out of here in the next week or two.” She smiled picking up the little girl. Cooper looked at the little girl in her arms in the little onesie on her growing body. She fussed in the doctor’s arms before letting out a cry. “She is a little fusser.” She smiled handing her to Cooper. Cooper looked down at the little girl in his arms.

“She is beautiful; so, so beautiful.” The doctor handed us both bottles for the babies.

“So have you thought of any names?” The doctor asked as she changed the bed sheets. I looked at Cooper.  He was looking at the baby in his arms in amazement.

“Cooper is going to name her and I’m going to him this little one.” I smiled as the little boy guzzled on his bottle. Cooper looked at me.

“I get to name her?” He whispered as the tears started to form in her eyes. I smiled at him and nodded.

“She is your daughter, you can name her.” Cooper looked down at her.

“Ryan Grace Banks.” He smiled kissing her head gently. She looked like she was going to get lost in his strong arms. She sucked away on the bottle. The doctor got something out and wrote it down. She looked at me as I gently rocked my little boy.

“What are you going to name him?” She smiled at me.

“TJ. Thomas Jerry. TJ.” I run a finger down his little hand. Cooper smiled at me.

“TJ and Ryan. The perfect names for the perfect twins.” She smiled. “Just put them in the incubator when you’re done and tell the nurse. She will hook them back up.” She smiled at us. “If you need anything press the button over there and a nurse will come. I should get going.” She walked out. I looked down at TJ. He was looking at me with his dark navy eyes.

“They are perfect Grace. Thank you. You gave me my perfect children. Hunter and TJ and Ryan. I have you. I never thought my life would go this way. 19, married with 3 kids, marine with the perfect wife. I have my best friend for a brother-in-law. My future-sister-in-law is amazing, my little nephew is amazing. He is going u perfect. I have my dream job.” He looked at me as a tear rolled down my face. “I love you so much.” He looked down at the Ryan. “I love you too.”  He smiled at me with tears in his eyes.

“I love all four of you.” I smiled gently getting up and to lay TJ down. Cooper was up as fast as he could with Ryan in his arms. He laid her next to her brother than helped me back in the wheel chair. “Where do you want to go Ma’am?” he smiled at me rubbing the tears off my cheek with his thumb.

“We should go check on Hunter; he should be waking up soon.” I smiled at him as he wheeled me back to my room. Hunter was just opening his eyes.

“Mommy?” He looked around rubbing his eyes. His face lit up as he saw Cooper behind me. “Daddy!” He yelled trying to get to Cooper. The IV pulled on his arm making him cry out in pain as it pulled the skin. “Ow mommy ow!” He cried out.  Cooper picked him and the IV up as the nurse from last time came in.

“I heard him up so I thought I would come in and take that IV out.” She smiled at Hunter. “How about I take the nasty thing out of your arm.” Hunter nodded pushing his arm out to her. She gently put the camo band-aid over the little cut and threw out the half empty bag. “You feel better little man?” Hunter nodded and hugged his father. “If the pain comes back or something else just come find me or Dr. Stone.” She walked out leaving Cooper, Hunter, and me. I yawned causing Cooper to look over.

“Hey Buddy, how about me and you go out and let Mommy sleep.” Hunter nodded as Cooper helped me into bed. “Sleep.” He whispered. I nodded. Hunter leaned over and kissed my cheek.

“Love you Mommy.” He smiled before grabbing his father’s hand. Cooper kissed me.

“I love you, see you later.” He smiled.

“I love you too.” I watched them walk out of the room hand in hand. I felt my heavy eyelids close as sleep took over me…………..