Chapter 32: A Beautiful Sunset

The plane ride was normal. It was boring and all I did was look out the window and listen to my iPod.  The whole physical part of the ride was okay. The whole ride all I could I think about what a baby I would have would like if I had one. He was would look like Cooper. He or she would have his beautiful Navy eyes, his amazing blonde hair with small little curls that would fall in their face.  He would have his smile but my sense of humor. That would the only thing of mine I would want them to get. They would be there Daddy’s little baby. We would be the perfect family, but we all know that will never happen but this family would only be in my fantasy. “Baby?” I heard my Dad say. I looked over at him and smiled getting up from my seat because we were here. “You okay?” He asked getting our bags. I nodded at him and took mine from him.

“Yeah I’m fine. I’m just in dreamland.” I smiled at him. We walk out of the plane to see Kirsty standing there with a sleeping Logan in a baby car seat sucking on a binky. She was holding Logan’s diaper bag. “Read to go to the hotel?” I ask looking at my phone for the time.

“I am ready to pass out.” Kirsty laughed causing Logan to squirm in his car seat. Dad got a rental car and we hooked Logan in the car. I sat in the front looking out of the window watching the road pass as he drove to the motel, which was only 4 minutes to the base. When Dad checked in we brought the bags to the room which was by the pool and set up Logan’s portable crib and got everything ready before Kirsty dropped on the bed and fell asleep. I slipped into a bathing suit and a t-shirt before going to sit with my legs in the pool. It was about sun set and it was beautiful. The colors in the sky just looked amazing. The oranges and the pinks mixed with the white of the clouds was breath taking. I looked down to the water to see the colors reflecting in the cool water.

“Beautiful isn’t?” A voice said. I looked over to see a girl in a big t-shirt holding a towel.

“It is.” I nod looking back at the sky. She walked out.

“Do you mind if I sit with you?” She asked looking at the pool.

“No go ahead it’s always nice to have someone to talk too.” I nodded smiling at her. “I’m Grace.”

“I’m Alex.”  She smile and shook my hand. We waited the sun set till it was dark and the pool lights came on.

“I used to always love to watch the sun set. It was like a gateway from one day to the next.” I smiled running my hand through the water.

“I just waited because it was beautiful.” Alex smiled at me. “Now if you don’t mind me asking why are you here in South Carolina?”

“I fiancé is graduating from Boot camp and tomorrow is family day.” I smiled. Alex looked over.

“My boyfriend is graduating, Marines at Parris Island?” She asked looking at me.

“Yeah, Semper Fi all the way.” I laughed at her.

“You a firster?” She asked. I shook my head.

“Nope, my Poppy was a marine and so is my Dad, you?” I said jumping into the water.

“My Dad’s a Marine, he is in Kuwait, he is a doctor.” She nodded smiling. I pulled myself out of the pool and pulled off my t-shirt and slipped on my towel.

“My Dad just finished in Afghanistan a couple of months ago.” I smiled. She looked over at me.

“That so-” She got cut off my crying. She looked over at the baby monitor she had then looked back at me. “I’m sorry, it my daughter…..” She trailed off waiting for me to judge her since she was the same age as me.

“Don’t worry about it, I can um…..” I looked at my cell phone at the time.

“You can come back to my room and we can talk a little bit more if you want I just have to feed her.” She said getting up and giving me a hand.

“I would enjoy that. What room? I can take a shower then come to it while you feed her if you want.” I smiled picking up my shirt.

“That would be cool. It’s room 15B.” She said as we started to walk.

“I will be there in a couple of minutes.” I smiled opening my room door and walking in. Dad was waiting TV with Logan. Logan was snuggled into the crook of his arm drinking his bottle. Dad of course had some cartoons playing.

“Hey how was your swim?” He asked me.

“It was good I met this nice girl and I am just showering before I go talk to her.” I say walking into the bathroom with a clean shirt and some shorts. I walk out of the bathroom brushing my hair into a pony tail. I walked over and kissed Dad’s head. “Be back soon.”

“Don’t be out to late, remember family day starts at 0700 and I want to be gone by 0645 got it.” He smiled.

“Yes Gunny.” I laughed walking out. I walked up to 15B and knocked on the door. I heard crying and a muffled ‘Come in’. When I opened the door I could see her trying to make a bottle one handed while holding a screaming baby. I quickly helped her by taking the baby so she could make it. “She its okay, it’s almost ready just shhh, its okay.” The baby looked at me and touched my face with her little hand. She studied my face. She didn’t really look like Alex. Alex had black hair as her daughter had a dirty blonde with these cute big blue eyes. Alex had green eyes so my guess is her boyfriend had dirty blonde hair.

“Thank you so much.” She smiled taking her back. I smiled.

“No problem I love kids. How old is she?” I ask cleaning up the little mess.

“About 2 and a half months. She is growing so fast.” She said feeding her her bottle.

“My nephew is 3 months.” I smiled at her. “What’s her name?”

“It Audrey, her father loved that name but I like to call her Aurie.” She kissed her daughters head.

“That’s so cute.” I smiled. We sat talking about our life till about 10.00. She was really cool. Her Mom kicked her out when she got pregnant so she went to live with her Dad as well as with her boyfriend Adam as his parents were furious with the whole being a marine thing then the ‘got a girl pregnant’ thing made them kick him out. I felt bad. I told her about my life and I think we became friend right then and there. We both don’t have an easy life but we live it day after day. Live like you will die tomorrow, Dream like you’ll live forever, don’t let live pass you by, you get what you get and you don’t get upset. That’s life, just live on………..