Chapter 47: Mrs. Cooper Banks

Everyone looked over at the Pastor. On Cooper’s side Jesse, he was his best man, then Taylor, and last was Nick. Jesse was in his dress blues as Taylor and Nick in there dress uniform. All of them had their hair trimmed into the usual military hair cut. On my side I had Kirsty as my maid of honor; of course she was my first real friend in a long time and also getting married to my brother so part of the family, then Amber and lastly Miranda. The three were in the blue dresses from the store and they all looked amazing. I looked at Cooper and smiled as I saw him in his dress blues. I looked at the Pastor as he started to talk. “Dear family and friends, we are gathered here today in the sight of God and the United States Marine Corps, to witness this exchange of vows, and see the love that these two dedicated, loving people have for one another.” I felt Cooper’s hand in mine and him squeeze. Cindy and Grammy put enough that it didn’t hurt too much.

 “Wilt thou, Cooper Banks, take Grace Roberts as your dependent, to dwell together in so far as the Marine Corps will permit? Wilt thou love her, comfort her via the postal service, E-mail, or over the phone, make sure she knows where the commissary, Exchange, and church are, and what your department telephone number the day she arrives, wherever you are stationed?” I heard a quiet laugh go through the crowd. "Wilt thou attempt to tell her more than 24 hours in advance that you will be pulling out for two weeks or more, beginning the next morning? This especially applies to the years you can live in North Carolina, California, Japan, and or any Base around the world.” The pastor said.

“I promise.” Cooper smiled at me. I could see Dad in the corner of my eye smiling and wiping a tear from his cheek.

Wilt thou Grace M. Roberts, take this Marine as thy wedded husband, knowing that he is depending upon you to be the perfect independent Marine wife, running the household as you see fit, taking part in established Marine traditions even if no one can explain them anymore, and being nice to the Commander’s Wife ? (Even if you hate her with every bone in your body)

Furthermore, you understand that your life with your husband (little that you may have together) will not be normal, that you may have to explain to your children, not once, but twice, and more often in the same day, that mothers do have husbands, and that children do have daddy's, and that the picture of the man on the refrigerator is the same individual who tucks them in at 2200 hours, long after they are asleep. This Marine is their daddy, who loves them very, very, very much.

"Wilt thou love, respect and wait for him, preparing and mailing his favorite cookies (including some for his Platoon Brothers) and pictures of yourself and the kids, so he can remember what you look like? And last but not least, always pick him up at the parade ground when the white buses pull in (or the day after  he is in the duty section) and put on the outside of your door a 'Welcome Home” sign” A ripple of laughter went through the crowd again. I squeezed Cooper’s hand.

“I promise.” I nodded.

Now the bride and groom or should I say Marine will now share their vows.” He nodded at me to start. I took a deep breath.

“Cooper I think I loved you from the movement I saw you sitting next to my idiot brother in the café at the high school, or it could be when you showed up at my house when it was raining and your car broke down. But I loved you through the ups and downs of life, so I’m ready to be the Marine wife I was born to be.” I looked over at Dad who was beaming at me. “I promise to be there for you if you’re coming home at 3 in the morning or leaving at 4.30 for P.T. I had the best woman to look up to for that. I love you and I am read for what the Corps has to throw at us.” The Pastor smiled at Cooper to say what he wasn’t to.

“So I can admit it right here I have screwed up more than once in my life. But finding you, was the best thing I could have or ever done. Even my parents think so. Grace there is two things that will be with me for the rest of my life, you and the corps. I love you and I always will.” He wiped a tear that slid down my cheek. I looked over at the Pastor as Jesse, who was holding Logan our ring barrower, walked over.Loganwas in the cutest shirt, it had a tux on it. In his lap was a pillow with the rings on it. Cooper took my wedding band. It was almost the same as my other ring but it went the other way so they would go together, also the little diamonds on the side that were red.

Cooper repeat after me. ‘I, Cooper Banks, Take thee Grace Roberts as my wife, from 1900 to 0430 hours or as long as allowed by my Commanding Officer and the Commander of Base (subject to change without notice), for better or worse, earlier or later, near or far, from sea to shining sea, and I promise to look at the pictures you send me, but not until after my watch is over, but before I turn the lights out in my bunk. I will also send a letter or E-mail (if I am allowed access to a computer on deployment), if time permits, and if not, to somehow, some way, make the time by sleeping even less than operational tasking permits.’" Cooper repeated him then slipped the ring onto my finger so it went right into my engagement ring.

Grace repeat after me. I, Patricia Roberts, take thee, Cooper Banks as my husband, realizing that your comings and goings and 0530 musters are normal (although absurd to me) and part of your life as a United States Marine. I promise not to be shocked or taken by surprise when you inform me that, although we've just arrived at our new base, maybe state, we will be leaving within the month because of a detailer mistake. Yes, I'll have you as my husband as long as while you are away my allotment comes through regularly, that you leave me a current power of attorney and the checkbook at all times. I am a family member and proud of it, dependent upon myself and my resources. Although I miss you when you are away, I know I can handle whatever comes across my path and make you proud.’" I repeated the pastor before I took the ring and slipped it onto Cooper’s ring finger.

 "Now then, let no man or woman put as under what God and the United States Marines have brought together. The Marine here by issues you this lovely, dedicated, independent woman, knowing that she'll be an asset not only to your marriage, but also to the mission of the United States Marine Corps, which is, as you all know, to remain in a high state of Readiness. By the authority vested in the Bible, elaborated in the regulation and subject to current directives concerning the aspects of marriage in the Marine Corps, you are now a Marine with a Dependent. Now Marine you may kiss your bride.” A cheer broke out as Cooper grabbed my face and kissed me like they weren’t even there. “Ladies, Gentleman, and Marines, I would like to introduce to you Mr. and Mrs. Cooper Banks.” He said as we pulled apart. I smiled at Cooper from where I stood. He beamed when they said that. I watched as the honor guard got ready for us to go down the aisle. Cooper took my hand as he walked under the swords. As we walked the swords came down in honor. When we reached the end the last sword came back and smacked my ass.

“Welcome to the Corp Ma’am.” I looked at my Dad’s best friend, who I haven’t seen in years, sending tears to swim in my eyes as I looked at his warm smile.

“Thank you Marine.” I smiled as we started to go to the cars to go to where we were going to have the party. Before I got in Grammy pulled me to the side away from everyone.

“Hey, baby congratulations.” She hugged me. I hugged her back and smiled.

“Thank you.”

“Did you put on your grader?” She asked. I looked at her wide eyed. “You forgot to buy one?” She guessed. I nodded.

“I just completely forgot.”  I gasped. She smiled.

“I thought you would, so I bought you this one.” She held it out to me. I looked at her. “I saw it and it was perfect for you.” I nodded at her. She knelt down and slipped it on under my dress. When she came back up she smiled at me. “You ready Mrs. Banks?”

“More than ever.”………