Chapter 52: Maybe Even Better

“You know this isn’t how I thought my wedding night would be.” I smiled as we lay on our bed. He turned his head to look at me.

“It wasn’t what I thought either; not at all.” He sighed making me look at him. “I could not be happier.” He smiled kissing my head. I looked at his shirt covered chest.

“When are you going to take that off?” I whined pulling on the bottom.  He smiled.

“Now.” He pushed me to the pillows straddling me. He pulled off his t-shirt to show me the new tattoo on the back of his left shoulder. I ran my fingers over the skin as the tears welled up in my eyes.

“When did you get this done?” I asked in nothing above a whisper.

“I got it done the second day we got here. Your brother got USMC on his back, but I liked this one so much better. What do you think?” He asked almost scared of the answer.

“It’s perfect.” I sat up from under him and kissed him. “And you know what they say; nothing is hotter than ink and dog tags.” I said biting my lip at him. He started to smile even wider and started to kiss me. I ran my hands down his chest still it was at the waist of his pants……….

I was walking past Hunter’s room when I heard crying. I walked over and slowly opened the door. He was sitting on the floor, in the dark, crying. “Hunter? Baby what’s wrong?” He looked up at me and reached up like he was a baby. I picked him up and hugged him. I felt my shirt getting wet. I felt his bottom. “Hunter you’re all wet.” He nodded the tears still rolling down his face.

“I had a bad dream.” He cried. “Then I wet the bed.” He hugged me tight.

“Shhh nothing bad can get you now. I promise.” I kissed his sweaty head. I turned on the light in his room to see the wet bed. “Okay come on let’s get you in a bath.” I started to walk back to my room to see Cooper lying on the bed under the covers. He looked at me as I carried Hunter in.

“What’s wrong? What happened?” He asked getting up only wearing a pair of shorts.

“I had a bad dream.” Hunter cried clenched his hands tighter into his little fists.

“Shhh it’s okay.” I kissed his head. Cooper looked at me. “Coop can you go change his sheets? Just through them in the washer and turn it on. Here take his jammies too.” I walked into the bathroom and helped Hunter take off his pajamas so Cooper could wash them.

“Can I have bubbles in my bath Mommy?” He asked as I started the water.

“Sure buddy. I know just what you would like, hold on and don’t move okay.” I said walking out. I walked to the storage closet and pulled out a box of all our old toys we used to love to play with in the bath. When I walked back in Hunter was still sitting on the counter. “Look what I got Baby.” He looked over at the box with an aw look. He looked at all the toys as I put bubbles in the tub.

“Mommy look, mommy I like this one.” He gasped showing me Jesse’s old favorite boat. “Oh and this.” He took out some army men. “Ducky! Mommy a ducky!” He also took out a big rubber ducky I used to love so much.

“Come on Hunter the bath is ready.” I picked him up and put him in the warm water making him giggle. I picked all the toys he chose out and gave him them. He was giggling up a storm splashing around when Cooper walked in. I was sitting on the counter looking though the box smiling at all the toys we used to use.

“Hey buddy you having fun?” He asked laughing at Hunter. He looked up at him and smiled.

“Ducky Daddy, Ducky!” He held it up. Cooper took some bubbles and rubbed them on Hunter’s nose. Hunter giggled. By the way he was playing I could tell he was getting tired again.

“Okay buddy time to wash your hair, head back.” I said sliding off the counter. Hunter leaned his head back so I could rub shampoo in his hair. I took a plastic cup and poured water on his soapy hair. I washed him and had him step out of the tub so I could wrap a towel around him. I rubbed him dry and held him in my arms. I drained the water and walked back into the bed room. Cooper was sitting at the bed with a plastic bag in his hands.

“So I pick some stuff out while you were in the bathroom with him.” He pulled out a new pair of Pajamas and some night time pull-ups. Hunter looked at them.

“They got toy story on them Mommy.” He said pointing at them. I nodded putting his naked body on the bed so I could help him get dressed. He looked at me. “Mommy, can I sleep in here with you and Daddy?” I looked at Cooper. He nodded and I looked back at Hunter.

“Sure Baby, come on get ready it’s really late.” I said looking at the clock. He crawled into the middle of the bed and curled up in a ball. I smiled and lay back down next to him as Cooper turned off the light and lay back down. “Good Night Coop.” I smiled at him.

“I love you Baby. Good night Hunter.”

“Night Daddy.” He said as he slipped into unconsciousness.

“I love you too Cooper.” I smiled. “How are you liking being a Daddy?” I smiled at him. He looked over at me.

“It’s one of the most amazing things ever. It’s only been about 7 hours but it’s great.” He sighed. “How do you like being a mommy?”

“It’s just like I always thought it would be; maybe even better.” I leaned over Hunter to kiss him.