Depression/Sad Spells

First things first, medication helps millions of people. Try asking a doctor or pharmacist for more information on how and where to get help with this. These are some tips I and a lot of people I know use to get through tough times like these

-Write down all the lyrics to your favorite song or just listen to your favorite song on repeat. Make sure it's an uplifting or motivational song.  This helps me indulge in the message in the lyrics and distract myself with something I enjoy. I like to make the writing pretty and decorate the page too.

-Wrap up in a blanket and watch your favorite show or movie. I try to watch random movies to tv to make me worry or think about something really different from what I am going through. Scary movies work really well. 

- Massage your hands and body with nice smelling moisturizer or lotion. Find a comforting scent and indulge in it and scare for your body through it. 

-Exercise. I know it sounds dumb but many scientists and statistics prove that exercise releases endorphins and promotes healthy blood flow and stress relief.  If that isn't your thing then just do a fun activity outside. I like to jump rope and do yoga. 

-Do something you're really good at. It could be something as complicated as rocket science or easy as organizing Tupperware. 

-Help someone or a cause. Charity work helps me a lot, I like to do volunteer beach clean ups with my schools volunteer work. Work at a soup kitchen, volunteer at a help hotline, work as a tutor, play with or walk dogs at animal shelters, get a helpful job, or help someone you know with a chore or activity! 

- If prescribed medication is hard to get or unnecessary, there are some natural supplements and herbal remedies that can be found in grocery stores! Link: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/314421

-Sleep. Honestly, when I would go through deep depression spells I really liked to just nap or sleep. Low energy or just being tired can make depression and or sadness just feel a million times worse. Make sure to get some rest and or nap when you can. 

-Drink lots of water. Tears make your body dehydrated. Water can help boost with energy and help your body function better in this bad state.