17

Odell

"Okay last one." I said as I slid the gift in front of Sonny. Kordell already finished opening his presents and he was busy counting up his money.

Instead of unwrapping the boxes Sonny kept hitting them like they were punching bags. I gave him a start by tearing the first half of the box and he did the rest.

"500 dollars!" Kordell yelled flashing his money in my face. "Can I go to the club with you and your friends?"

Crystal looked over at me and busted out laughing. "Can he Odell?"

"Maybe one day." I said as he frowned. He sucked his teeth.

"One day when?"

"When you turn 21."

"But that's like..." he started counting on his fingers. "9 years man. You won't even be cool you-

"Don't hurt his feeling Kordell." Crystal said writing something down.

"I'm gonna be what?" I asked furrowing my eyebrows.

"Nevermind I want to keep my presents."

I stood up from siting on the couch and walked upstairs to the bedroom with Sonny. I didn't know what I wanted to do. Part of me was still tripping over this stupid ass ring that I shouldn't have bought.

I locked the door and sat on the bed opening and closing the box. Sonny waddled over to me and tried to take the box out of my hand. "You can't have this one."

Xander

I never thought I'd be in a jail cell on Christmas Day. My hearing for bail was set at 250,000 dollars. The only person I know who could pay that is my father. I'm glad I retained a healthy relationship with them because I doubt they'd say no.

My phone call was coming up so I had to make this quick and get straight to the point.

I dialed his personal number and sighed.

"Hello?"

"Uh, dad. I-

"What did you do? Why are you in ja- Nevermind I'm coming up there to see you."

"I got in a little trouble."

"Doing what? Did they give you bail?"

"Yes that's why I'm calling they want 250."

"Thousand?" He asked. I could hear the anger in his voice. "Damn. I'll be up there son don't worry." He said.

"Alright, thanks pops."

"Alright bye."

After hanging up I was escorted back to my cell which was shared with some old white dude.

"Back already?" He asked. He had a deep raspy voice that echoed.

"Sadly."

He chuckled. "I never got to ask you what you were in here for."

"Assault." I said and he nodded.

"Well whatever you get probably isn't nothing to me. I've probably been here as long as you've been alive. I'm doing life and I've severed 34 years for a murder I never did."

"Damn that sucks."

"Tell me about it. I didn't get bail or nothing. I almost got the death penalty but the lady's family wanted me to 'suffer." He looked down at the paper he had been drawing on. "But hey, I get free food, clothes, and a place to sleep."

"You like it here?" I asked.

"No I just like to imagine a positive side to everything." He attempted to be cheerful but failed.

"I couldn't imagine anything being positive, but we're in two different positions."

I laid back on the hard thing they call a bed. When I get out off here... never mind that I just need to focus on getting the least amount of time possible.