Chapter 23

Song of the chapter: Purpose by Justin Bieber

Emily's POV

"That's great, Emily," Taylor smiled as I told her about my phone call with Austin. "I knew he would come through."

We were sitting in my bedroom flipping through magazines while Lucy played with her toy piano. She had been at Alex's previously, but he had dropped her off here because he said he was doing something.

"Well, I kind of pleaded for him to come back," I admitted.

Taylor looked uncomfortable. "Actually, Austin told Alex and me that he was planning on coming back before, but he didn't know what to say, or what you would say, so he stayed longer. He got over the Jesse thing like, three days after he left."

I gaped at her. "You mean to tell me that for four days, he's just been sitting at Alex's place? And he didn't even call?"

"Um... yes?" she laughed nervously.

"What! Why are you telling me this now?" I exclaimed.

"I'm sorry, Emily, I should've told you sooner," she said guiltily.

I sighed. "I guess it doesn't really matter. He's finally coming home." I paused. "So then I actually didn't beg? Or I did?"

"Technically, yes. But theoretically, no. So let's just go with the second one!" Taylor told me.

Lucy slammed her hands down on the piano keys, making Taylor and I jump at the guttural sound it made.

"You go, girl," Taylor laughed at her. "She's already starting to play an instrument."

I smiled over at Lucy, who was busy giggling like a maniac every time she hit a key. "Yeah; I think she's going to be exactly like Austin. Looks and all."

"What makes you think that?"

"I just have a feeling. She already looks like him."

"You're crazy. She has your eyes and nose, but she'll definitely have Austin's hair color. Unless it darkens up as she gets older."

I shrugged. "Guess we'll find out."

Taylor's phone rang, and she answered after I gave her the okay. "Hello?" She paused for a few seconds. "Whoa, whoa, Alex, slow down." She clenched her jaw and screeched, "You did what?"

This can't be good, I thought.

"I'm coming to your place right now, you are so dead," she said angrily before hanging up.

"What's wrong?"

"Alex wrecked my car again. This time he slammed it back into that big tree by his driveway!" Taylor was fuming. "He's paying for it again, I swear to it."

I winced. "Tell him it was nice knowing him for me."

"Oh, I will," she said, grabbing her jacket. "I'll call you later, girlfriend."

"Bye," I waved, and she walked out the door. I heard the front door slam a minute later, and I turned to Lucy. "Auntie Taylor is on a murderous rampage. I don't know if you'll ever see Uncle Alex again."

"Unca Alex?" she repeated.

"Yeah, baby. Eh, he should be fine. I hope." I stood up and straightened my shirt. "Ready for your supper?"

"No!"

I laughed and bent to scoop her up. "No, no, no!" She yelled, trying to push out of my grip.

"Sadly, you don't have a choice, Luce, you need to eat. Come on, you can play with Barbie after."

"Momma, noooo! I wanna play wif ma tooooy!" She struggled the whole way to the kitchen, where I set her down on the ground so I could get the food ready. What was with her?