Chapter 42

Song of the chapter: Never Too Late by Three Days Grace

Emily's POV

I walked in the door of the house and was immediately met with an angry Austin stalking down the hall towards me.

"Where the hell were you?" He exclaimed before I could even shut the front door.

"I went to talk to my boss at Marianne's," I said, walking past him. "Why are you so pissed?"

"You've been gone for five hours! I came home and you weren't here; you didn't write a note, text me, call me, nothing!"

I sighed. "Austin, relax. I didn't think you would be home this early."

"I was really worried about you."

"Why?"

He stared at me like I was stupid. "Emily. You've been gone for five hours. We don't need the same thing to happen to you like it did to Leah!"

It had been four days since Leah had gone missing. The police had found her car at a gas station but no sign of her, sadly. The security camera inside didn't even catch anything that would give better leads.

I put my hands on his arms. "I'm sorry I didn't leave a note or anything. I didn't mean to worry you like that. I'm fine."

He stared at me before softening and pulling me into a hug. "Don't scare me like that again."

"I promise I won't."

He followed me into the living room. "Why were you gone five hours?"

"I got stuck in traffic and I went to drop Lucy off at your moms, plus I talked to my boss about shifts and talked to Taylor at her new job. I was all over Miami."

"Where is she working now?"

"The zoo. She cleans the animal pens."

"Gross," Austin shuddered.

I smirked. "Such a man."

"Hey, cleaning animal pens is disgusting. Who enjoys that?"

"Zookeepers. I wouldn't worry; I say she lasts a day." I grabbed a water bottle from the fridge. "So what did you do today?"

"Stopped by Alex's place to play video games then we went to the mall and met up with Jace."

"What were you doing at the mall?"

"Shopping," he said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Well, sorry I don't find many guys that like shopping. Get me anything?" I teased.

"Nope!" He said, rather quickly. "Sorry, babe, next time."

I raised an eyebrow at him. "Are you okay?"

"Never been better, now that I know you're safe."

Well played, Mahone, well played.

Before I could interrogate him any further, the landline rang. Austin walked over to the table and grabbed it. "Hello?"

I took a sip of water as he listened to whoever was on the other line. "Are you fucking serious?" That caught my attention and he looked at me, phone still pressed to his ear. "Okay. Oh god. Where are you guys? Lucy is at my mom's. Emily and I are leaving now. Thanks, dude. See you later. Bye."

"What happened?" I asked when he hung up.

"They found Leah," he grinned.

"Aaaaaaah!" I screamed with happiness as I ran over and threw my arms around him. "That's such a relief! Where?"