Chapter 78

Song of the Chapter: Ever Enough by A Rocket to the Moon

Emily's POV

"So, Austin," the doctor said as he walked into the examining room. It was two weeks after Austin had gone to the hospital to get his leg checked out, and a week after Christmas, and we were getting the results of his test today. The doctor gave a small smile. "You look a little nervous."

"Just a little," Austin squeaked from his spot on the bed. I grabbed his hand in support, and he linked his fingers through mine. "Can you really blame me?"

"Of course not," the doctor said. "And you are?" he added to me, not rudely, but professionally.

"Oh, um, I'm Emily, Austin's fiancé," I told him, shaking his hand with the one that wasn't entangled with Austin's.

"Nice to meet you," he said. "Shall we get on with the results?"

"That'd be nice," Austin said, letting out a breath.

"Well, there's nothing major to worry about, Austin, it's just a pulled muscle in your calf," the doctor said.

"Oh," Austin sighed with relief as I laughed happily, hugging his side. "Oh, thank god."

The doctor smiled. "I can see why you thought it could be worse with the chronic pain. It's just been getting worse because you waited so long to come see me."

"I didn't think it would be anything serious," Austin admitted.

"You never know. Now, with some ice and rest, it should be as good as new in a week or so."

"But my tour starts in two days," Austin said. "I have to dance. Quite vigorously. I've already cancelled it once, and I can't do it again. I won't."

"Austin, don't," I said.

"If you want that leg to get better, then dancing is off limits," the doctor said firmly. "I'm sorry."

Before Austin could argue any further, I cut in. "Thank you, doctor, for everything. I'll make sure Austin follows through with the care." I pulled my fiancé out of the room. "What are you doing?" I hissed at him. "You don't argue with a doctor!"

"Oh come on, Emily, what the hell am I supposed to do? I'm in a situation now!"

"You can cut the dancing from the first few shows of the tour, that's what you're going to do."

"Emily, the dancing is more than half of my entire show!" Austin exclaimed. "I can't sing the majority of my songs without some sort of movement involving my legs."

"What about that time you hurt your knee playing basketball and you were suspended from ropes for your performance? You can do that to take the pressure off of your leg," I told him.

"For almost every song? That won't work."

"Well, Austin, it's better than nothing. Either you do that, don't dance, or cancel the show. You don't have many options. You should just be happy it's not anything serious. I'm sorry, but I'm not letting you risk hurting yourself even more. You could tear something."

"I'm not going to tear shit," he said. "Can we just go home now? Lucy will be waiting for us." We had left her with Austin's mom for the afternoon while we went to the hospital. Before I could reply, he walked away.

I watched him go for a moment. I could understand why he was so upset; performing was his life, and he hated disappointing his fans. What I didn't understand was why he was willing to risk further injury in order to do so. Sometimes, no matter how much you love your fans, you have to take care of your own health first.