Chapter 59

Song of the chapter: Far Away by Nickleback

Emily's POV

"What the hell?" I shrieked before hurrying over to the door. The wood around the handle was chipped away. "Oh my god."

I went to the living room and grabbed the phone on instinct, dialing Austin's cell. He picked up on the fourth ring. "No, sorry, I don't have your pizza," he said groggily.

"Austin, wake up!"

"Emily?" he said. "What's wrong? It's-" he paused. "3:30 in the morning here. Is that Lucy screaming in the background?"

"We got broken into sometime last night," I told him. "Yes, she's cold and scared."

"What?" he yelled, now fully awake. I could hear Taylor and Alex waking up in the background. "Emily, what happened?"

"I don't know!" I said, tears threatening. "Pancakes started barking and I came downstairs to find the front door wide open with the handle pried apart. The house is freezing, and the person cut the wires in the fuse box so there's no power. There's a lamp smashed, too, but I didn't notice anything missing. I'm scared, Austin."

"I'm coming home."

"No, Austin, don't, I'm going to call 911-"

"I don't really give a damn about 911; you're there alone with our daughter. I'm coming home tonight. Alex, Taylor, get up, we're flying back to Miami. Taylor, book us plane tickets now!"

"What's going on?" Taylor said in the background.

"Don't cry, babe, I'll be there in two hours," Austin said softly to me. I could hear clothes rustling in the background along with Taylor hurriedly talking to the airlines. "I'll see you in a bit, I love you so much, stay safe, Ems."

"I love you, too. Bye." I hung up and grabbed Lucy before running to the living room to grab blankets for Lucy. When I went through the doorway, I felt a searing pain rip through my arm.

"What the hell?" I exclaimed, turning around. Apparently, there was another broken lamp, although this one was standing up still, so there were shards of it still in place. The top of my arm had ripped across it and there was a long gash down the top part of my arm that was bleeding heavily.

"Damn it," I said as I dripped blood onto the floor. I set Lucy down and grabbed a tea towel, pressing it against the gash. It soaked through almost immediately, so I grabbed a few towels and used my teeth to tie a thick bandage around the gash. My arm was soaked red. There wasn't really a whole lot I could do about it now. It was obvious I was going to need stitches.

I still grabbed a few of the bigger blankets to wrap around Lucy to keep her warm. When I picked her up again, I ignored the pain that shot through my arm and tried to keep most of her weight on my right arm.

Whoever tried to break in- well, tried, not really. They kinda succeeded- to the house, could very well still be in there. Pancakes started growling, her haunches rising in the air.

"Come on, girl," I whispered as we made our way down the hall. I grabbed a baseball bat from the hallway. Don't judge, Austin loved baseball. It's also for cases like these. Sorry not sorry.

"Hello?" I called into the dark house. "If you're in here, come out. I've got a very angry dog ready to rip you to pieces!"

No response. It took me an hour to clear the whole house thoroughly because I did it more than once, being the paranoid person that I am, but no one was in there, thank god. I had noticed in the laundry room that the fuse box contained cut wires, hence the reason the power was out in the house. Pancakes was still growling, but she was probably just spooked.