Chapter 62

Song of the chapter: Shadow by Austin Mahone

Austins POV

"We brought you some food," Taylor said, coming into the hospital room, Alex following her. It was eight at night, and the others had all taken their turn seeing Emily throughout the day, but they had to leave shortly before five.

"Ugh, I hate hospital food," I groaned.

Alex shook his head frantically. He was holding Lucy's hand as she walked beside him. "No way, Austin, this cake is unreal."

I sighed and took the plate Taylor was holding out to me. I took a bite of the cake. "Alright, fine, it's amazing cake."

"Right?" Taylor exclaimed. She plopped down onto the other chair beside Emily's bed. "I just want her to wake up already. It's horrible having to deal with you two all the time."

"Hey, it's been like three days! And we aren't that bad," I said.

"Mmm hmm."

I rolled my eyes and just about said something when I felt a twitch in my hands. "Guys."

"You know, they really should get vanilla cake here too," Alex was busy saying to Taylor.

"Oh, and strawberry."

"Guys," I tried again.

"Add some chocolate pudding in the middle-"

"You guys!" I yelled, and they shut up.

"What?" Taylor asked.

"I think she's waking up!" I stood up and leaned over Emily. "Come on, Ems."

She squeezed my hand again, and this time, I knew it was real. I felt it completely.

"She squeezed my hand twice," I said. "She has to be waking up."

As if on queue, Emily's eyes fluttered slowly and she opened her eyes tiredly, looking around.

I laughed in relief and brushed her hair out of her eyes and stroked her cheek with my finger. "Hey, Ems. How are you feeling?"

You know that look that people do in the movies after just waking up in the hospital? They always look around for a few seconds? Emily did that before saying, "Where am I?"

"You're in the hospital, girl," Taylor said softly. "You passed out."

"I- I don't remember passing out."

"Well, you lost a lot of blood," I said before smiling. "But you're awake and you're okay."

She finally got a good look at me and stared at me for a second before swallowing. Her next words came out as if she was breathing them.

"Who are you?"