Chapter 37

Song of the chapter: As Long As You Love Me by Justin Bieber

Emily's POV

It had been two hours since Lucy and I had arrived at the studio where Austin was rehearsing for his upcoming tour. Lucy had finally calmed down and was off playing with Taylor somewhere in the building. Taylor swore she had her this time. Alex was busy with Austin.

All of this meant that I had some piece and quiet, finally, so I was making myself some tea in the coffee room, with no disturbances. While I waited for the water to boil, I leant against the counter and went over the argument Austin and I had in my head.

"Well, try something else; I'm kind of busy right now."

"I have been trying and I'm well aware that you're busy. And why are you yelling at me?" I said, raising my voice.

"I'm not yelling at you, I just think you need to get her to be quiet, we can hear her out here and it's cutting into our rehearsal!"

I narrowed my eyes. Austin had no right to get mad at me. I wasn't the one screaming the whole time, and I was trying my hardest to keep Lucy calm. Did he think I wanted her to keep shrieking and crying? God, sometimes he bothered me to no end.

The water for my tea started boiling and pulled me out of my thoughts so I grabbed the kettle and poured it into the cup, dropping the tea bag in. While I was stirring it, I heard the door open, so I turned around, thinking it would be Taylor with Lucy. It turned out to be Austin.

"Hey," he said quietly.

I dropped the spoon into my tea, letting it clink in the cup loudly. "Hi," I replied, crossing my arms.

"What are you doing?"

I raised my eyebrow at him. "Making tea. Why are you whispering?"

"Oh, right," he said in his normal voice now.

I shrugged and turned my back again, giving my full attention stirring my tea.

"Look, Emily-"

"It's fine, Austin, don't worry about it."

"No, it's not fine, and I can tell you're pissed at me," he said. I heard him walk up behind me.

"I think I have a right to be," I told him. "Did she finally stop screaming when Alex brought her to you?"

"Yeah," he admitted. "But she started again when he had to take her back."

I turned around to face him. "I knew it. She hates me."

Austin looked appalled. "Did that seriously just come out of your mouth? She does not hate you! You're her mom."

"Doesn't mean she has to like me. There are people that hate their moms, you know."

"Which is messed up. But Lucy doesn't hate you, Emily, she loves you. She's only 2 years old; she doesn't understand much yet." Austin said while I sat down with my hands on my chin.

"I don't care how old she is. Knowing I can't even get her to stop crying when she gets like this," Tears stung my eyes. "It hurts."

Austin softened as a couple tears leaked from my eyes

Austin softened as a couple tears leaked from my eyes. "Ems, come here," he said as he pulled me into a hug and rubbed my back. I always loved it when he did that, and he knew it. "I guarantee when she gets older, Lucy will love you even more than she does now. She won't even remember any of this."

"Don't try the guilt trip on me."

Austin sighed and rested his cheek on my head. "I'm sorry about what I said earlier to you. This tour is stressing me out and I haven't been able to rehearse as much because this is the first tour with Lucy and I'm worried about all that, not to mention the fact that I don't even know if I should be doing this tour in the first place; Lucy's not even 3 yet."

"You snapped at me. Over something I can't control."

He pulled back and held my shoulders, giving me a pained look. "I know, and I'm really sorry. You know I hate it when we fight."

I looked at him for a few seconds, not saying anything. When I finally did, I said, "I wish you would stop worrying about me and Lucy."

"Why would I not worry about you two? It's kind of my job."

"But you worry too much," I told him. "It's not good for you."

"I just don't want anything to happen to you guys," Austin told me.

"We're fine, nothing is going to happen to us," I assured him. "Keep thinking something will, and it will."

"Don't tell me that!" he exclaimed.

I giggled and slid my arms around his waist again. "Just trying to lighten the mood."

"How does that lighten the mood?"

I shrugged. "I don't know, I'm running on four hours of sleep."

"Does this mean you forgive me?" my boyfriend asked, looking down at me.

"Yeah, I forgive you. I can't hold a grudge."

He grinned and bent to kiss me. "I love you," he said.

"Love you, too," I replied. "But you better get back to rehearsing. I need to drink my tea."

Austin gave me one of his 'looks' that were only reserved for me. "Really?"

"Really really."

He chuckled. "Alright then. You know where to find me."

"I'll be out there in a couple minutes," I said.

He gave me one last kiss before leaving the room. I took my tea and sat at the table in the room. I skimmed through old phone calls in my phone and saw that there was one a missed one from Jace that I never saw. Sometimes my phone tripped out and I didn't hear it ringing. Confused, I thought I better call him to make sure it wasn't important.

It rang twice before he picked up. "Emily!"

Sounds important. Damn.

"Jace? I saw that you tried calling earlier, but my phone never rang. Is everything okay?"

"I tried about ten minutes ago, so you didn't miss me by much. And no, everything is not okay."

"What's up?"

"It's Leah."

My heart dropped. "Oh my god, what happened?"

"She's missing."