Chapter 53

Song of the chapter: See You Again by Carrie Underwood

Emily's POV

"He's still being an ass about the whole Jesse thing. Do you know how long ago that was?" I was hanging off the side of my bed with the phone pressed to my ear.

"I think he's just being paranoid now," Taylor said through the line.

"There's nothing to be paranoid about; I don't know how many times I've told Austin that!"

"Where is he now?"

"Outside playing with Pancakes in the backyard. He hasn't said a word to me since we got back from the tattoo shop," I replied. "Which was three hours ago."

When we got home, Austin had said hi to Leah and stormed off to somewhere in the depths of the house. I had to apologize to Leah for his stupid behavior before sending her off. Lucy was currently sleeping.

"Speaking of tattoo shops, how did everything go?" Taylor asked.

"Austin's tattoo looks amazing and my piercing didn't hurt, surprisingly. It looks cute!"

"That's good! I can't wait to see them. So, back to the Austin thing. Just, like, smack him or something. Maybe throw in a punch just for good measure," she said.

"Why on earth would I hit him?" I exclaimed.

"Because he's being an ass? Your words, not mine."

"I'm not going to hit him." I paused as I heard the door and then footsteps a moment later. "Shit, he's coming, gotta go!" I hung up the phone and threw it against the pillows just as Austin walked in the door.

"Hey," he said.

"Hey, uh, what's going on?" I asked like I wasn't just raging about him on the phone to Taylor.

"I wanted to apologize for snapping at you earlier. It was rude of me and I'm sorry," he said.

"Austin, I just really wish you would stop worrying about Jesse and me."

"It's not an easy thing to just drop."

"Well, please try."

He walked over to the bed and sat beside me, wincing as he did.

"What's wrong?" I asked worriedly.

"It's just the tattoo," he said. "It's gonna be sore for a while."

"Be careful with your shoulder when you're performing."

"I'll be fine," he said. He threw his other arm around me and pulled me into his side. "I'm sorry. I love you."

I kissed his neck and said, "Love you too. Let's finally put it all behind us, okay? I don't like the tension it causes in our relationship."

"Deal," he replied. "Lucy still sleeping?"

I nodded. "She should be up soon."

"Perfect. I'll make supper tonight."

"Isn't that nice of you?" I smiled, standing up.

"We can have a family night tonight. I want to spend time with you both before the tour."

"That sounds like a great idea."

********

"Emily, where's my guitar?" Austin asked.

I shrugged in response. "I haven't seen it. Did you check the basement?"

"Yeah, it's not there."

"What about our room?"

"Well, yeah, I checked there first," he said. "I could have sworn I left it in the music room."