Chapter 5: Maya

Edited

"Maya! Come down and greet Mr. Thompson!" My mother calls with love and care in her voice as if her tone were the same in his absence.

I throw on one of my pretty dresses, because I know well that if I don't look lovely in front of her guests that I'll end up getting slapped once all the alcohol in the house has been drained, to go flowing in her veins.

"Coming right down!" I reply, my voice laced with fake love. Oh glee.

I scurry down the stairs, only becoming graceful as soon as I am in her line of sight.

"Ah, Mr. Thompson, meet my daughter Maya Grace!" My mothers hums to him, overexaggerated joy in her voice.

Nobody calls me that. Grace is my middle name. I hate it. I bet my mother picked it. Sounds just as superficial as her.

She places a hand on my shoulder softly and I almost wince from the unfamiliar touch. She's never gentle. Not to me. Yet to put up a show, she'll be gentle. I feel my heart tug in sadness. She only does this for the show. She doesn't actually care about me. She never will again.

I've had enough of this.

"Hello Mr. Thompson. I'm sorry that I need to leave so soon but I have a few projects for tomorrow so I must hastily get back to work."

"Well of course, go right ahead! What a studious girl you have, Meredith! You'll see, she'll end up being very skillful once she takes over the business."

"Indeed!" I hear my mom giving her stupid chuckle as I walk back up the stairs.

I spot Darren in his room.

"What are you reading?" I say smirking. "Porn mag?"

"You caught me." He says sarcastically. But he really is.

I walk into his room and stand by his bed. He flips the page to reveal a naked girl.

"You're such a perv."

"Correction: I'm a boy."

"Well you're the perviest one of them all."

"Thank you." He says grinning.

"It wasn't a compliment."

"Well let's agree to disagree."

I turn around rolling my eyes going back to my own room. I get out of my fancy dress and put on my pjs feeling in my element. I finish all my homework quickly so I can sleep earlier. Sleep is my bestfriend, my escape.

Buzz.

I look down at my phone.

Message from Gigi

Gigi: Hey there's a party tomorrow night! You're coming, no exceptions love you! Xoxo

Me: Umm... No. I don't have anything to wear for it.

Gigi: Are you kidding me? You have tons of dresses.

Me: They're all for formal dinners not parties! They cost a lot and a stain on them would have my mother yelling to heaven.

Gigi: Funny. Borrow one of mine. We'll find a way. You're coming. End of discussion.

Why a party? I'm not good with those type of social events. I'm good with people but not drunk irrational, crazy people. Those people can't be talked to. They remind me of my mother. I sigh as I look out my window onto the entrance of the house. This residential block is a bit 'higher end' than the typical houses people have in high school. I don't like people seeing my house and wealth as it often changes their opinion on me so only Gigi has been over and has been the only one for years.

💫💫💫

I guess I couldn't bail the party in the end. At least, not under Gigi's watch. So now, here I am, in her room, sitting on her bed as she goes through her closet for something for me to wear tonight.

"Wear this." She extends a tight looking dress that I eye carefully but I still go to change into it.

Once it's on it feels even tighter than it looks. It's not chocking me to death or anything because the material is stretchy but I feel very... Aware and exposed all of a sudden.

"It makes me look like a slut." I tell her bluntly.

"My slut. Now let's get going." She replies, discarding my comment rather quickly.

"I'm not sure..." I hesitate.

"Oh, your makeup! How could I forget! Cuz your hair is already flawless it doesn't need any dolling up but I will have some fun with your face while I can." She exclaims, talking over my mumbles that I now have to pout in annoyance. I've already lost this battle.

She goes to get her makeup bag and I absolutely refuse to wear foundation so she just puts eyeshadow, mascara and a little eyebrow magic with the faintest sign of blush.

"You look stunning! Let's go get some boys!"

"You know I'm not going there for that."

"Whatever, you'll be my wing-woman."

I shrug, a smile creeping onto my face.

~~~

Hey guys! What do you think of this chapter? What are your thoughts around Maya's mom? Have they changed? What do you think of Gigi?