Chapter 55: Cale

"Yea, I heard they picked her up from the streets not very far from here."

"What was she thinking crossing the road without looking?"

I turn behind me to look at the two girls gossiping.

"Um, I'm sorry what are you taking about?" I ask rather confused by their conversation.

"Didn't you hear?" The first one asks, awkwardly shifting in her position, looking away, bothered.

"No, what happened?"

"Maya got hit by a car about an hour ago."

All the blood from my face seems to drain away, leaving me pale and frozen.

What?

I instantly feel my legs carry me out of school as I sprint through the hallways, not caring that I'll be running out of breath soon or that minor injury in my foot. I just ran.

"Hey Cale, where are you going?" Daisy calls, but I sprint past and out through the schools front door quickly dropping my bag in front of my locker and hurrying into the rain.

My vision is clouded but I don't care. I get to the hospital as quickly as I can, refusing to let myself be wavered by the growing pain my legs or the hitching in my breaths.

This can't be happening.

I sprint faster and faster, never seeming to be fast enough. I slip on the ground and fall, grazing my knees and elbows but I get back up with full force and push through.

This can't be happening.

Then the question I'm scared of the most comes creeping into my mind as much as I want to push it away.

Is she dead?

I hurry to the counter, dripping onto the hospital floor and breathing heavily but it doesn't matter.

"Where can I find Maya? She cane in about an hour ago, a car crash?"

"Sir, please calm down, you can't see her now, she's in surgery. Only family and close friends may-"

"Does it look like I ran over here in the pouring rain to be told this?!" I yell at her, panic finally settling in as I picture Maya's pure soul and body with blood on it.

"I'm sorry sir, there's nothing I can do for-"

"Mam please!" I beg as meaningfully as I can. "Please let me see her or wait by her room, please!"

She wavers for a second, debating in her mind whether to let me across or simply make me wait here before she gives in and sighs.

"She's in the surgery room 405, her mother and bestfriend, who was at the scene, are there already. This stays between you and me."

"Thank you!" I thank her from the core of my soul. "Thank you so much."

And with that I run up the stairs to get to the 4th floor and then I see them. Gigi, Mary and a tall man. Who is he? Gigi turns to look at me and instantly she clenches her jaws and glares right through me. I walk my way towards them and her eyes never cease to put holes through me.

"What are you doing here?" She demands through gritted teeth.

"The same reason you're here." I reply, ignoring her angry face.

At first I didn't understand why Gigi cried earlier when it didn't really concern her who I choose to date but then it hit me.

Gigi loves Maya.

"You like Maya romantically." I tell her.

Gigi's eyes widen in fear, surprise and panic before settling to another glare.

"So what, you're going to blackmail me or something?"

"No. I'm just saying we're more similar than you think."

Gigi's eyes only seem to glare more at me, her jaw gritted and her fists clenched as her eyebrows frown beyond simple irritation.

"Don't say we're the same." She says in a low condescending tone. "I never got the girl."

I stay silent because she's right, but there's also nothing I can do or say about it to make her feel better. After all, I have my own feelings to take account for too.

We pause for a while and Gigi calms herself down, sifting out a sigh.

Obviously, our conversation is low and private so the two adults don't hear but I see Gigi's constant stares at Mary and can't help but wonder what they mean.

"Why do you keep looking over at her?" I question her.