Chapter 17: Maya

I stare blankly at the board in front of me.

"Hey Maya, you okay? You seem like you're in dreamland."

"Hmm...?" Is all I reply.

I feel a great deal of nothingness.

Back in my original seat, I can tell the class is thinking up stupid rumors as to why.

The bell for break rings and I still think about everything that happened yesterday but mostly, the unforgettable feelings I had last night.

"I heard that she may have tried to seduce him but he rejected her coldly like all the other girls so now she's pissed off." I hear a girl whisper, Molly, to one of her friends.

I get up suddenly from my seat, I'm sick of this. I feel like the whole class has their eyes on me. I head to the door avoiding their judgmental gazes.

As I open it to leave I am faced with Cale himself and for a second my eyes widen before I feel like I no longer want to see his face and I walk past him. The girl's toilet. I need to wash my face a little. Feel more refreshed.

As I walk in I see her. My eyebrows furrow just at the sight of her. I want to turn to walk back out but she turns her face to look up from reapplying her winged eyeliner. I can't turn back now. I walk past her and wash my hands, then wet my face and dry it before leaving.

From up close, she's even prettier than what I saw last night and I only feel more miserable.

As I sit back next to Gigi, she looks at me with a worried look on her face.

"May, you okay?"

I nod.

"Well, I think I just need to tell you that Mr. Cale is looking at you right now." She whispers to me.

I am tempted to turn around but I don't. I can almost feel his eyes drilling holes in my head, so focused as he thinks. Then the girl from last night walks in and sits in my seat, next to Cale.

I feel my body tense up. In that moment I just know I instantly hate her. I feel like she's replacing me, erasing me from his mind and it feels awful.

The teacher walks in.

"Hello class! So we have an old student joining us again after her 1-year trip to Mexico, Daisy Johnston!"

I don't turn back to look at her because I don't want to see her flawless face sitting in my seat next to Cale.

I want to cry again. I want to go back to even two days ago when I was more carefree and had no troubles.

Now school is just as upsetting as home.

~~~

Hey guys!

In this chapter, Maya is faced with yet another feeling she isn't used to: jealousy. Previously she was always best at school and that was the only thing she really cared about apart from the obvious envy of all the other kids who have a happy family. Now she's hurt by this unknown feeling and feels miserable.

Do you sympathize with Maya?

What do you think of Daisy?