Chapter 49: Maya

As I walk into the classroom, I feel a weird sense of tension in the air. Gigi turns around, a huge smile on her face.

"Finally you're here!" She says happily. "I had to tell you something!" She says her smile slowly faltering.

We seat ourselves in the front as usual, and I briefly turn around to meet Cale's eyes which now seem more distant and unattainable than only a few mere moments ago.

Why is everyone so weird?

My eyes search the room as other people come into class, until they land on Daisy and my drops on so many levels. I just look back down at my desk and then at Gigi as she readies herself to tell me that news of hers.

"Well... Carter and I broke up." She says blandly, rid of her usual enthusiastic and happy-go-lucky voice and radiance.

I stare blankly at her.

"Why?"

"He cheated on me. His excuse was that I didn't really like him and that he thought he was just a distraction to me, a stand-in. He believes I love someone else."

Love is a big word that Gigi purposefully avoids at all times, so the fact that she mentions it surprises me quite a bit.

"Do you?" I ask after a little pause.

She looks up at me before she looks back down at her hands, which she is fidgeting profusely.

"I don't know..." She finally utters, in a very quiet tone in which I have to strain my ears to properly hear.

Now, I'm truly curious. She thinks she might love someone?"

"Who is it?"

She looks away, avoiding my gaze.

"It's fine, Gigi. I won't judge you for it." I reassure her.

"It's not that... It's just... I'm just not ready to..."

"It's fine, I get it. Tell me when you can." I tell her with a smile on my face.

As her eyes meet mine, they immediately relax and I feel happiness arise in me. I turn around just to see Cale's eyes meet mine and I feel this insecurity that I never felt before.

Why am I scared?