Chapter 28: Maya

I stare into space as I lie on my bed. The ceiling prevents from seeing anything but the white coloring that was painted a few years ago but in my mind I see an everlasting void that just gets bigger and bigger.

A knock is heard from the door but I'm not sure whether I really heard it or if it was my imagination. The door opens and although I don't look directly at him, I can see from the blurring corner of my eye that it's Darren.

"Dinner's ready!" He hums in glee.

I turn around in my bed, letting myself face the terribly white wall.

"Not hungry?" He asks sitting by my bedside.

Go away.

I remain silent as he continues to barbade me with pointless questions that don't even penetrate my ears, leaving me to hear a huge numbing background sound. All turns to white noise as I stare at my back wall.

After a long moment of silence he gets up and leaves and tears start to well up in my eyes.

Don't go.

Don't leave me behind.

---

Hey guys!

Maya is still in the daze where she needs to process what exactly is going to happen. All of a sudden Darren isn't her real brother, all of a sudden he's leaving to go to his mom which then makes more sense for everything in Maya's head but she also resents Darren for leaving her behind and not telling her about it.

The fact that her mom is going to remarry only scares Maya even more because she'll be facing this new struggle without him when she grew up with him her entire life.