Chapter 1

Hey all!!  This is my first story on wattpad that I've completed and the first few chapters aren't that great. I'm in the process of editing them, so I would appreciate it if you would stick with the story. It gets better, I promise!!

Here we go!

~*~

I drummed my finger on the side on my chair.

Oh.

Excuse me, throne.

Guests below me twirled and danced and actually enjoyed themselves while I was stuck on this piece of glorified wood.

I surveyed the crowd from the elevated throne platform, as usual.  The ballroom vastly expanding before me with blue stained glass windows letting in the moonlight and golden chandeliers illuminating the room in a warm glow.  Some curtains to my right billowed out from the autumn air coming in through the open doors.  People of all kinds of royalty danced and mingled below me.  A buffet stretched out the whole expanse of the wall to my left.  It was filled with things that I wasn't allowed to eat: tarts, cakes, muffins, you name it.

Squeals of laughter occasionally rose from the chatter as the band played an upbeat Irish tune.  People were still entering the ballroom even though the ball began over an hour ago.  I could see my father twitching in his throne. Fashionably late was not acceptable in this kingdom.

My mother, the queen, sat to my right.  My father was on the other side of her.  It was clear who was in charge. 

My mother sat with perfectly still, her posture immaculate and her face having the perfect hint of a smile.  People sent her nervous looks as they passed in front of the platform we were on.

My brother, Kellan, stood out in the crowd, chatting with some girl.  I watched as he let out a laugh and took her hand leading her out onto the dance floor.  They twirled to the music and looked genuinely happy.

Why couldn't he have been born first? 

I let out a huff of air and blew a fly away hair off my forehead.  My mother sent her signature sideways glare at me, letting me know that I was doing something wrong without making it obvious to the public.  If I had a jewel for every time she did that I could make a crown for every woman in Thanes.  And man for that matter.

Concealing an eye roll, I straightened my posture and smoothed out my dress.

Its thick navy blue fabric billowed out underneath me, filling up the entirety of the chair and most of the floor around it.  Tiny crystals glimmered throughout the skirt, casting a light on the lacy bodice.  It was beautiful, no doubt, but it wasn't me.  Mother was the one that picked it out.  No surprise there.

"Braelynn," she hissed.  "Your crown is crooked."

I sighed and moved my gloved hands up to my head to right the crown.  Except, being the clumsy princess I am, the tip of the glove got stuck on one of the spikes on the top of the crown. 

I could practically hear the annoyance in my mother's eyes as I yanked my hand free, revealing a loose thread in the glove.  She opened her mouth to reprimand me, but something in the ballroom caught her eyes.

"Oh, look, Braelynn.  Prince Buren has arrived.  You must go say hello."  I had to give her credit.  Mother turned on the charm in front of anyone of royal descent.  She never stuttered or showed any emotion except for happiness.  She smiled warmly at the prince and his family.

Prince Ford Buren, also known as the buffoon I was set to marry in the future.  I concealed an eye roll as he grinned right back at my mother, but it never reached his eyes.