Chapter 31

Mother has yet to give me an answer.  She has yet to see me at all.  I could tell she was avoiding me, with all the sideways glances and silent meals.

I had made my point, it was up to her now.

On the other hand, Maddon and I have been going great.  Ever since the night of the argument, we had gotten even closer.  It was crazy how every time we kissed felt like the first time.

The rebels had calmed down a lot too.  The fighting at the front gates had pretty much come to a standstill. I hope they were lessening their force, not regrouping for another attack.

I received so many condolence letters about my father that I had given up responding.  All of them came from wealthy royals who didn't need any reassurance.  There weren't as many rebel attack letters either.  People may have given up hope and not want to show any support for the crown, or the rebels had stopped attacking the villages.

It was still hard to grasp that I was going to be leading Thanes as a sole regent.  Or at least, before I married Maddon.  After that, I would just be head regent and Maddon would be the side figure.

Or we could be happily married in a tiny cottage in the woods.

It was all up to my mother.

I thought all these things while I laid on Maddon's chest on the couch in the lounge.  He played with my hair, twirling it in his fingers and letting it fall back down.

His free hand clasped mine, held against my heart.

Slowly, we both dozed off.

When I woke up, it was already midday.  We hurried to the dining hall just in time for lunch.  Mother was already sitting down at the table; she raised her gaze to meet mine.

She had made her decision.

I raised my eyebrows as I sat down.

"I will allow the marriage with the guard," she muttered.

"Really?" I couldn't help but squeal.

"I wasn't left with much of a choice.  After seeing the two of you together and hearing the other side of the deal, I will allow it.  But that doesn't mean I support it," she said.

I flung out of my chair and launched myself at Maddon, laughing and hugging him close.  He laughed too and pulled me closer to him.  I let out a squeal and let go, running back to the table.

"Your brother also puts up a very convincing argument," she said, pursing her lips.

"Kellan?"

"That is your brother's name," she smiled a tight smile.

I ran from the room, searching for Kellan.

I found him out in the stables, getting off his horse.  I tackled him to the ground.

"Thank you thank you thank you," I chanted, hugging him close.

"I'm guessing she told you her decision," he laughed.

"Yes!  How did you do it?" I asked.

"I told her how in love you two were and told her all the things you two do together," he told me.

"Do together?  Where did you find that out?"

"I may or may not have asked your maids," he admitted.

"I love you so much!" I squealed, jumping up and down.

"I love you too," he laughed.  "Now go spend time with your man."

I didn't hesitate to sprint over to Maddon, grabbing his arm and running back to my quarters.

I jumped on him, wrapping my legs around his waist, kissing him hard.

"This is the best news I've ever heard in my life," I squealed.  I was giddy, like a kid on Christmas, but I didn't care.

Maddon and I could be together now. I didn't have my mother's support, but I had her consent, and that was enough for me.

"I love you," he said.

"I love you, too," I smiled and pecked him on the lips.

"I'm not really sure how royal relationships work," he laughed nervously.  "What does this make us?"

"How does a normal relationship work?"

"I would ask you to be my girlfriend.  But this isn't a normal relationship.  Usually, I would have asked you to be my girlfriend before our first kiss.  Obviously, that didn't happen," he laughed.

"So let's skip that," I said, "what comes next?"

"Marriage," he said simply.

"Oh," I squeaked.  I mean, we were in love and all, but we weren't ready for marriage.

"How about we stay as we are?" he suggested.

"I'd like that," I smiled and pecked his lips.