Chapter 8

I banged my hands on the table.

"You can't be serious," I exclaimed.

Maddon was staring straight ahead, emotionless. Where I, on the other hand, was completely livid. And I wasn't the one being sent to fight.

"He was one of the best candidates we had. It is necessary to protect-"

"Candidates?!  These are lives we are talking about. Human lives," I countered.

"And your life will be endangered if we do not send these troops," he reasoned.

"How many?" I said, my voice cracking.

"What?"

"How many young men are being sent to their deaths?"

"I am not comfortable disclosing that-" I cut him off by snatching the paper from his hand. There were at least 100 names on the list. Maybe more.

My vision was tunneled onto one name.

Maddon Crosgrove.

Suddenly too overwhelmed, I pushed back from the desk and stood up, sending papers flying. Maddon began to rise as well.

"Sit," my father barked and Maddon shot back into the chair like his life depended on it. Which it did.

I left them with one final glare behind me as I slammed the door closed.

I cannot believe this, I thought as I paced the hallway.

Why would he send my personal guard away?  Who's going to be with me when he's gone?  What if he...

I cannot bear to think of it.

The door opened.

Maddon came out.

He walked the other way.

"Wait, Maddon," I called, but he was walking too fast. I jogged a little to catch up to him. He gently brushed my arm before grabbing my hand.

It wasn't meant to be romantic. He was pulling me along with him back to my quarters as I stared down at our hands.

I shook my hand out of his and wrapped my arm around his elbow so no one would be suspicious if they passed.

We were practically running through the halls. Maids and servants watched us go by with amusement.

Maddon burst through the door to my quarter and immediately went to the lounge room.

I decided to stay quiet and let him say what he wanted.

I watched as he paced a little bit. And then some more, before sitting down on the couch with his head in his hands.

Tears welled up in my eyes. The normal strong, brave, and sturdy Maddon was gone. He was shaking like a leaf.

I went over to the couch and gathered him in a hug. He stood up and buried his face in my neck.

We stayed like that for a while. My sniffles were the only sound other then Maddon's hand rubbing the back of my dress.

"How long do we have?" I said, breaking the silence.

"A couple hours. I have to go to the supply room to get weapons and then we get on a carriage to take us to the battle ground," he explained like it was a normal routine. "I have until four o'clock."

We were still wrapped up in a hug. I leaned my head back to look in his eyes. They reflected worry and determination.

"What happens when you get there? How long will you be there?  When do you come back?" I fired at him.