Chapter 10

"When is he released?" Kellan asked as we rode our horses back into the stable.

"Today. I'm not sure what time though," I answered.

"I think you're question is answered," Kellan said and pointed to the archway.

Maddon was walking through it. He raised his hand to wave and I guided Ashby over to him.

"Good morning!" I chirped, swinging off the horse and planting my feet in the ground.

"Morning," he said back, leaning against the archway.

"How are you feeling?  Does anything still hurt?"

"No. I'm as good as new. Like I said, my injuries aren't bad. You don't have anything to worry about."

"So you can get on a horse?" I questioned. He scrunched up his nose.

"If I have to," he grumbled, causing me to laugh.

"Let me put Ashby away, and then I need to talk to my mom about reinstating you as my guard. And then we can ride the horses," I explained.

My mother was over by the gardens. She was reading a book on a bench.

"Mother," I began.

She looked up at her eyes widened at the sight of Maddon.

"My guard is out of the infirmary. I assume he will take back his position," I demanded, leaving no room for argument.

"Yes, that is what we planned on. He may retake his position," she said and went back to her book.

"Okay, I have something to show you now," I said and we walked back to the stables.

I had already prepared a bag for us to take, so I attached it to Ashby's saddle and tacked up Lane for Maddon.

"Are you sure you're okay?" I asked.

"Yes, I promise you, I'm fine," he said and mounted onto the horse.

We rode for a while in the snow, the horses going a little slower than usual.

Finally, we reached the clearing with the lake. I had gotten the idea when I came out here after Maddon left. I took out two pairs of ice skates out of the bag and dangled them into the air.

Maddon looked nervously at them.

"Can you skate?" I asked.

"Yeah, yeah totally," he answered, nodding his head.

"Great. Then put these on," I threw him the skates and put on my own.

"Is it safe?" Maddon asked, lacing one of the skates.

"Yep. Kell and I tested it this morning. It's rock solid," I said and carefully walked to the edge of the lake.

"You coming or what?" I called back and Maddon stood up, wobbling a little.

He walked over to me, making me break down in laughter. He looked like a constipated duck.

"Yeah yeah, quit laughing," he grumbled and came up next to me.

"You go first. I just want to make sure it's safe," he said.

"So you put the princess on the ice first?" I laughed. "It's safe. I'll show you."

I glided out into the ice, spinning in a circle just to prove my point.

He was staring at me with wide eyes.

"How do you do that?" he breathed.

"With grace and beauty? I thought you knew how," I giggled.