Chapter 32

Maddon and I walked openly hand in hand to breakfast today.  There has been a permanent smile on my face for the past two weeks ever since we got the news that we could be together.

I pushed open the door and squeezed Maddon's hand before sitting down.

"Aren't you going to invite him to sit?" Mother said from the head of the table, making both of our heads snap towards her.

"Maddon," I squeaked, clearing my throat.  "Would you like to sit?" 

He nodded and walked carefully over to me.  We both expected her to change her mind.

But she didn't.

Maddon sat gingerly in the chair and a plate of food was set in front of him.

"Braelynn, I have come to terms with your relationship with Maddon," she said.  At least he wasn't being called the 'village scum' anymore.

"However, the necessity of your marriage still stands.  You will need to push your relationship to the next level.  I expect you to handle this on your own, but after your coronation, you will need to be married shortly after."

"I understand," I said.

I wasn't opposed to marrying Maddon at all.  In fact, I was excited to marry him.  I just wish it was on out own accord and not rushed.

"After lunch today, Maddon will go with Kellan to prepare for the engagement while we plan the coronation," she said.

"Okay," I answered looking at Maddon, who was looking at me in panic.  If he was panicked now, imagine what he will be like when he actually has to be the king.

I had to be queen to marry who I want, so the coronation has to come before the engagement.  Mother would most likely have the coronation within the next few weeks.  I wasn't as opposed to becoming queen because now I have the incentive of marrying Maddon.

We finished breakfast in an awkward silence before Maddon and I went to the lounge to talk things over.

"Are you okay with all this?" I asked.

"It's a little much, but I think so.  I don't know about becoming king, but I'm excited to marry you," he smiled.

"Me too.  I just wish we had a little more time before we were rushed into an engagement.  I mean, we just got together pretty much.  It's only been a total of, like, five months since we've met."

"Five months and twenty nine days," he said, making me blush.

"Besides, Maddon, I know I want to spend the rest of my life with you, so marriage will just make it so it can't be reversed," I reasoned, excitement building up.

"The only thing that's going to change between us is that we will be more in love."

"As if that's even possible," I snorted, even though I was still falling harder and harder for him every second we spent together.

"I love you," he said.

"And I love you," I answered, kissing him quickly on the lips.

"We're going to spend the rest of our lives together," he grinned.

"I know," I squealed, doing a little dance and making him laugh.  He pulled me close and kissed me deeply.

Suddenly, he pulled back.

"What is it?" I asked.

"I don't know if I can do this," he said.

"What do you mean?  You don't know if you can do what?  Marry me?"

"No, not at all that.  I know I can marry you.  I was talking about being king.  I've never had any royal experience whatsoever," he said.

"Relax.  You'll do fine.  Besides, it will mainly be me ruling the country. You'll be there because we're in love and when people are in love, they get married.  I promise you won't be doing a lot of decision making.  At least not for a while," I assured.

"Okay," he let out a breath.  "I guess I can manage," he laughed.

I knew Maddon would be a great king.  The roles were somewhat reversed.  In a normal situation, the man would be the main ruler, controlling all the political affairs, and the woman would supply the kids.

Wow, that sounds terrible.

But that's just how things are.

This time it was the other way around.  I was making history in two ways.  One, not marrying another royal.  And two, having a female as the main regent.

During lunch, Maddon left with Kellan and I spent the day with mother, planning the details of my coronation.  Surprisingly, she let me choose what I wanted to have.

"Why did you let Maddon sit at the table this morning?" I asked as we compared colors for my dress.

"He is about to marry my daughter and be the king of Thanes.  I think he needs to work to become acclimated  to the royal life," she said.

"But you were so against him. What's changed?"

"I saw the two of you in your room the other night.  You were both sleeping so you didn't notice.  But, you two remind me of your father and I when we were your age.  I can see that you two are in love.  You two deserve a chance to be together."

Could this be happening?  Was my mother changing?

I walked over and gave her a hug.

"Thank you," I whispered.

"Let's finish planning.  We don't have all day," she said.

And, she was back.