Chapter 2

I woke up to the light streaming in the windows. Carrie was opening the curtains, sending little particles of dust into the air.

"Morning!" Lauren chirped. She was holding open the door with her leg and dragging in my dress for the day. Holly waited behind her.

Suddenly, Carrie squealed from the window.

"Oh! Hurry, come and see! It's the guards!" she squealed and we all sprang up to see.

The guards took the early mornings to work out and train. Shirtless, might I add.

Let's just say that all those workouts paid off.

The four of us crowded around the glass in the door before Holly opened it and we all went stumbling onto the balcony.

They ran in two long lines, circling the perimeter of the castle. Lauren gasped beside me.

"Look! There's Bailey!" She exclaimed and blushed a deep red. I couldn't help but smirk.

"Lauren, is there something you'd like to share with us?" I questioned.

"N-no?"

I smiled as a plan popped in my head.

"What's that look for? Braelynn, you're scaring me. What are you hiding?"

I cupped my hands around my mouth and yelled down at the guards.

"Hey! Bailey! Lauren says hello!" I shouted.

A muscular brunette turned sideways to look up at us. Lauren had ducked underneath the railing blushing even deeper. Holly, Carrie, and I burst out laughing when Bailey stopped running, causing the men behind him to crash into his back. He shyly waved back at us before scratching the back of his neck and continued running.

How cute was that? I ship it.

And yes, even princesses say that.

"I am going to kill you," Lauren groaned and sulked back inside, slopping backwards onto the bed.

"I'm afraid that's punishable by death, honey," I replied sweetly.

"I'll take my chances," she muttered and grabbed my dress for the day.

I didn't have any formal events to attend today. My dress was a blush pink sundress with a sweetheart neckline and straight body. It was simple, yet beautiful. I quickly dressed into it while my maids did my hair in a simple braid down my back and pulled out some white kitten heels to go with it. Since it was autumn, they handed me a white shawl to keep me warm while I walked through the castle.

They applied a final coat of mascara before bidding their goodbyes and leaving the room. I had to wait on a guard to escort me to breakfast, where I sit in the empty dining hall with no one but my mother.

Joy.

I organized a few stray papers on my desk until the guards entered and bowed.

"Princess, please follow me," the guard announced and I followed him out the door and through the castle.

~*~

Breakfast was boring, as expected. Mother and I sat at opposite ends of the table. The only sound in the room was the quiet clinking of our forks.

My scrambled eggs certainly became very interesting when my mother looked at me from across the table.

"Braelynn," she began.

I looked at her from under my lashes.

"Prince Ford Buren and his family are coming to stay for a couple nights as we have some political issues to solve. You are expected to have dinner in you the dining hall with the rest of the family tonight. Please wear something presentable," she said.