Chapter 7

It has been two days since the false attack, and the castle is still on high alert. Guards were stationed at every door and every corner, and extra security was positioned at the front gates. They would try and look like they weren't watching me, but their eyes shifted and followed Maddon and I down the hallway.

I had also noticed a major change in Maddon as well. Whenever we were around other people, his hand permanently resided on his new gun. Father had handed it to him at dinner the night of the attack. For 'extra protection' he told us.

I know I should be terrified for my safety, but for some odd reason I feel calm. I'm sure it's because of Maddon. He has really proven himself lately, always making sure I was right next to him.

We were currently relaxing out in the gardens on the edge of the fountain in the maze. I was required to sew a quilt for my lessons, so I had that splayed out over my lap. The soft trickle of water was the only sound, aside from my occasional sigh of frustration.

I glanced over at Maddon, who was sitting down on the bench across from me, only because I made him. The whole guarding me thing was taking a visible toll on him.

I looked up at his face. He had dark circles under both of his eyes from lack of sleep. A faded purple bruise dotted his cheek from ramming into the door.

My heart sped up a little bit. I must be nervous.

"Are you okay?" Maddon asked.

Caught.

"Yeah, yes, I'm fine. Thank you," I muttered, and looked back down at my quilt, cheeks hot.

Gravel crunched in the mini maze. Maddon stood up and his hand went back to his gun. He stuck his hand out in front of me to stop me from moving.

A guard came into view. Maddon didn't relax until the guard bowed.

"Princess, there is a mandatory meeting in the king's office that requires your attendance," he announced.

"Thank you. We will be there in a minute," I replied and stood up.

The guard disappeared from view and we started walked through the castle.

My father's door was lined with guards. I walked up with Maddon but we were stopped by a burly guard, who was easily twice my size.

"The guard is not allowed in," he grumbled.

"But he's a personal guard," I protested.

"The guard is not allowed in."

"But-" I started but was stopped by a gentle hand on my wrist.

"It's okay, I'll be right out here," Maddon reassured me and I gave in, walking through the doors.

To say I was surprised at the sight that met my eyes was an understatement. All the important people of Thanes sat around a huge table. The Burens were also there. My father sat at the head of the table and motioned for me to sit down.

"Okay, now that everyone is here, let's begin," my father announced and everyone quieted down. A tense mood filled the room.

"As many of you have been informed, we recently had a false alarm regarding a rebel attack." People around the table nodded. "My wife and I feel that the self-named Valiants are getting to be more of a nuisance."

A nuisance? They tried to kill me and almost got into the castle!

"We have determined that there needs to be extra efforts to ensure our protection. We need to inform you on our new additions to deter confusion."