Chapter 5

I walked into the dining room a little later than usual.  Following the events of the nightmare, I slept in late.

Today, I was dressed super casual in a short white lace dress and my hair was left natural.

Both Mother and Father were sitting at the table as well as Kellan, who avoided my eyes.

I sat at an empty chair and a maid set down a plate of scrambled eggs.

My stomach lurched. I can't eat this.

"I'm not hungry, thank you," I told the maid.  She didn't pick up my plate, but rather looked to my mother for approval.

"Braelynn, do not act childish.  Eat your breakfast," she scolded.

She wasn't saying that yesterday when she told me to skip dinner, now was she?

"I really am not hungry.  I think I'm becoming ill, I slept in late this morning," I continued, trying to get her to give in.

"You need to eat," my mother demanded.

"Elane, that's enough.  She will eat when she's hungry.  You may be excused," my father said to my rescue.

I slowly got up from my chair, and then practically sprinted from the room before they could change their minds.

Maddon trailed pretty far behind as I led him back to my quarters.  Instead of going to my bedroom, I took a left and entered the empty room that had doors that opened to the observatory.

We climbed up the narrow steel staircase up to the observatory landing.

Now, what good is an observatory during the day?

The daylight shone through the huge windows and lit up the room.  A few stray research books were scattered across the floor where I had left them last time.  The telescope sat unbothered under the windows.

Along with the gardens, the observatory was where I went to be alone and think.  I loved it the most at night, because I had a passion for stars, but it was beautiful during the day too.

I ran my fingers across the wooden desk where my star charts sat.

"What is this place?" Maddon asked from the doorway.

"It's an observatory.  You mean you've never seen one before?"

"Not all of us are a privileged as you are," he said while concealing an eye roll.

"I get that.  I just thought..." I started. "Never mind."

"No you just thought what?  That we all have an observatory on the top of our house?  That we all have a whole staff waiting to serve our every need?  Because, news flash, princess! Not all of us are like you!" Maddon shouted.

I flinched backwards.  Tears gathered in my eyes no matter how hard I tried to keep them away.

"From where I come from, you don't waste your food.  You don't just say you 'aren't hungry' and walk away. You don't-

"I get it! Okay! I get that people aren't like me or that they don't have the same privileges! I know that. But news flash to you, Maddon, this is reality.  Some people are treated differently than others.  Life isn't fair, get over it.  Do you think my life is all sunshine and rainbows? After all you've seen?"

"Well it sure is a hell of a lot better than mine!" he shouted.

"If your life is so bad, then why don't you quit?  Go back home because you clearly like it there better," I countered, pointing to the door.